SARS-like virus spreading rapidly in China; cities quarantined; cases in US

You’re off-base there. It is no secret that Los Angeles and San Francisco have contaminated needles and excrement on the ground, making them vulnerable to blood-borne pathogens as well as bacterial pathogens in feces. If I was referring to “lib cities” I would have mentioned Chicago, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, El Paso, St. Paul, Atlanta, Detroit, etc. So far, none of those have the health hazards of those major cities in California.

What would liberals do without paranoia and a victim complex? Not everything is about you.

2 Likes

And what does your persecution complex have to do with the topic at hand?

Perhaps some are trying to be proactive, rather than sitting on our laurels stating: hindsight is 20/20…

2 Likes

No in order to understand disease vectors you need to understand that the residents of those cities aren’t handling the human feces.

Is the flu more prevalent in San Francisco or Los Angeles due to all the feces?

What does the flu have to do with feces?

1 Like

Again do one of those cities have a large outbreak of the flu because of the feces. Human excretions are a huge disease vector.

May be those cities aren’t as feces covered as you guys think.

haha! Nice pun! :rofl:

It’s type of bodily fluid. It’s a disease vector.

You don’t get the flu from feces. It’s a viral, airborne infection. Bacterial infections are becoming more common because feces is one of the reservoirs. Not to mention parasitic infections such as Schistosoma and Giardia.

Before you ask the question, gut flora bacteria is not meant to be consumed or moved to anywhere else in the body, becuase it also contains human waste and what our bodies don’t want.

I’m sorry I don’t mean to sound condescending, but have you ever taken Epidemiology? Immunology? Virology? Biology? Parasitology? Microbiology? I recommend taking one of these before you analyze these situations. It will make interpreting them so much easier.

Who here is really scared of this virus? What are you doing?

I would also think that cities in California would also be at risk for Clonorchis sinensis, or the Chinese liver fluke, given that Angel Island is in the state as a big immigration center. That, with the bubonic plague that is rising again in Los Angeles, as well as this virus…this spells disaster.

You are not sounding condescending. Thank you for being polite.

While i take these classes: please look up the Spanish flu and its causes and waste

1 Like

I shall do that after my shower.

There’s an obvious difference between the bbc reporting the facts and your boys Jones and Watson hawking super male vitality pills.

At this point in time, based on the available data, this is much more media hysteria than a true emergency. Unless China is completely fabricating the numbers, this particular strain of coronavirus does not appear to be significantly more virulent than typical strain. It does not approach the severity of SARS or MERS and as of now has a transmission rate (R0 to keep it simple) that is somewhat high, but still much lower than SARS.

This could change. It could hit a huge population center, mutate and become more severe/transmissible. China could be drastically underreporting and we already have an emergency. I think both of those are unlikely.

As of now, it’s 99% hysteria and 1% real concern.

2 Likes

They are overflowing which is why they have the crash 7 day hospital building program.

Imagine a MASH unit x about 1,000.

Well your last comment is certainly not true as demonstrated by the travel restrictions, our own DOS evacuating Americans, and the precautions being taken here at home and in Europe.

Not entirely true. One of the most effective controls for chronic gut ailments is the ingestion of probiotics.

In life stock it’s common to actually mix a little feces with feed to regain the floral balance after antibiotic treatment or physical stress such as shipping.

1 Like

Strong precautions are not a metric of disease severity. Disease mortality and rate of spread are. I’ll base my views on these facts rather than how tough the travel restrictions are.

This was your claim.

As of now, it’s 99% hysteria and 1% real concern.

The facts show that to be untrue.

What facts are you referring to? Here are some real facts.

Mortality rates -
Wuhan coronavirus mortality rate: 4%
SARS coronavirus mortality rate: 10%
MERS coronavirus mortality rate: 30%

Transmissibility (R0, higher number is more transmissible) -
Wuhan coronavirus R0: 1.4-2.5
SARS coronavirus R0: 2-5
MERS coronavirus R0: 0.5-1

More transmissible than MERS, less transmissible than SARS. Much less deadly than either.