SARS-like virus spreading rapidly in China; cities quarantined; cases in US

Last I heard they are making arrangements as of today/yesterday there to evacuate all Americans from the affected area.

They are taking this very seriously.

Here is an interesting video from an expert who has dealt with past outbreaks. He expresses concerns but says there are no easy answers to the outbreak.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1220788262874308608

1 Like

Bill thank you for that share. It sheds light on the seriousness this is being taken.

I will say this…i don’t get the flu. I’ve hAd it twice in 54 years. I got sick before Christmas and because my wife is susceptible to flu, and I didn’t want to endanger her. I went to the doctor within two days. Because if it is flu getting something like Tamiflu anti viral asap lessens the severity and decreases recovery time.

If anyone thinks they have flu like symptoms. Go. Get swabbed. I did, did not have it…but what I had was a viral respiratory infection. Took me three weeks to get over.

Don’t play. Don’t be a tough guy. Go get checked.

You are WAY late on that. :smile:

I got in on that at the beginning, as well as in on Rhodium and rarities.

Hint.

If anybody wants to start a life of crime, cut the catalytic converters off cars. :rofl: There are criminals who do nothing but that, seeking the precious metals used in the catalytic converters. :smile:

The history of China arresting people who post information about the virus makes it difficult to verify the government’s reports. For example here is a new story that claims that the Wuhan hospitals are overflowing with patients and 100,000 may already be infected.

While I see no way to check the accuracy of this report, there is really no way to confirm the government’s figures either.

Peeps thieving the Thanks Obama without an ounce of irony. Love it

1 Like

The likelihood of him making it through fountainhead is about as high as about half of those who claim to be Rand fans.

3 Likes

We do. @toreyj01 @SottoVoce @Janet_Miller and some others that slipped my mind atm. I would love to hear their input.

2 Likes

Earthquake is over, this is spreading. I am not saying people net to get into a panic but China is taking this very seriously.

Posted this in the other 2019-Coronavirus thread. Something that bothers me about retroviruses is they seem to enter the lysogenic cycle, otherwise it can’t reproduce. That makes the probability of cancer higher, as well as faulty cells. At least with phage viruses, it doesn’t always enter the lysogenic cycle.

I wish I would have gotten in on it, I was buying gold and silver back in 2010ish. Never in the world would have thought Palladium would have even doubled from $300 much less closing in on $2,500.

I’m hoping that it won’t spread as much in the U.S. because they have stricter sanitation procedures, at least from what I know. The areas that should be the most concern in the U.S. are areas such as Los Angeles and San Franscisco, from weakened immune systems to additional diseases from feces and contaminated needles…I hope that China wakes up and learns from this. It is horrible what is happening to the population there.

1 Like

They have quarantine off 10 cities and shutting events down. As I said earlier they are taking it very seriously.

1 Like

Yes. China has a very vigorous response now, but it may already be too late to prevent a worldwide epidemic.

My observation is that governments avoid causing panic at all costs even if it means lying or giving grossly misleading information about the true nature of the risks. China is hardly unique in that department:

When was the last time you were in either of those cities?

How about you? Have you been there?

Quite so. By the time they react and put a plan in place the virus has mutated.

Best to think for yourself, not on government for guidance.

Then again, those who rely on government for guidance? Hmmm… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Ahh. You must be a visitor to understand disease vectors. :rofl:

1 Like

Everything always comes back to the libs here. What would some people do without libs as their boogey-men?

FH didn’t mention libs…have guilty conscience ?

2 Likes