Does one graph explain the huge variations in COVID death rates for different parts of the world?

I was curious why some countries seem to have much lower COVID-19 death rates than others, and I came across an article from April that proposed that vaccinations for Japanese Encephalitis (JE) and Tick-Borne Encephalitis (TBE) may protect against COVID infections. Japanese Encephalitis is found in Asia Pacific countries and South Asia, and JE vaccinations are required throughout China and neighboring countries. TBE vaccinations are common in central and eastern Europe and Russia.

I plotted reported COVID-19 death rate versus average age of each country as shown above. It is clear the nations with high levels of JE vaccinations have much lower death rates given their average age. A smaller benefit from TBE vaccinations is also apparent, and may explain why Germany and Poland have much lower death rates than European countries located farther west.

Is it possible that immunity to JE and TBE explain much of the difference in COVID-19 death rates?

Here are links for background information:
Cross-Protection Induced by Encephalitis Vaccines against COVID-19 Might be a Reason for Relatively Lower Mortality Rate in Some Countries (nih.gov)

COVID-19 pandemic death rates by country - Wikipedia

Japanese Encephalitis Surveillance and Immunization ā€” Asia and the Western Pacific, 2012 (cdc.gov)

Tick-borne encephalitis - Wikipedia

1 Like

If the data is correct, it tells a story. For it to be actionable though, one needs to see if other factors could explain the graph.

Fascinating find.

There certainly is SOME correlation.

Interesting asideā€¦Japanese Encephalitis is fineā€¦Wuhan or China virus is less than fine.

The JE vaccine is available in the US for long-term visitors to rural parts of Asia where the disease is found.

It would be interesting to see how the rate for cases and deaths compares for people who have gotten the vaccination to that of people who have not had the vaccination. Veterans of the military and peace corps may be ideal for a comparison.

1 Like

It certainly would.

The vaccine makers I am sure were using this data as a starting point.

This JEV association was reported as early as April 2019.

The story may be that COVID-19 has been a highly effective bioweapon.

It is as if the virus has been engineered to target the US and western Europe while leaving China and its neighbors with little damage. It has cost the US trillions of dollars in damages, killed hundreds of thousand of Americans, and arguably had a big effect on the 2020 election results that are favorable to China.

That assessment agrees with recent comments from a Chinese sociologist, Dr. Li Yi:

". . . God has pulled off a little trick, right? God created COVID-19 and spread it to every country in the world.ā€
ā€œCOVID-19 is bad for Europe and America, but it is beneficial for North Korea and China.ā€
ā€œWe still have 4,000 dead, right? But if 4,000 (Chinese) die versus 220,000 in the United States, we havenā€™t really lost a single person, have we? Weā€™re close to zero infections and zero deaths. If 4,000 people out of 1.4 billion die, thatā€™s the same as no one getting sick and no one dying.ā€

Will China try for a repeat of their success?

Iā€™m not sure what that story would be. For example, the average age in the US is ~37 and the death rate currently is just under 2%. Australia also has an average age of ~37 but their death rate is around 3.2% (albeit, they have very few cases relative to their population.) On the other hand, Alaska has an average age of ~34 but the death rate is only 0.35% compared to Brazil has a death rate of 2.5% in a population averaging ~31 years. The trend on the graph is the death rate goes up as age of the population goes up, but there is significant scatter in the data.

Note: I used quick google searches for average ages and COVID cases/deaths because the data that produced the graph is unsourced.

The COVID death rate in the chart is total COVID deaths divided by the total population for a country. The current US COVID death rate is a bit under .1% = 100 / 100,000.

The average age in the chart is the median age from this link:
Population by Country (2020) - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

One would think think the US response to a bioterror attack would be something other than to just take it. What kind of leader does jack ā– ā– ā– ā–  with regards to an attack on America that has claimed nearly 100 times the number of souls as on 9/11?

1 Like

I just realized Iā€™m using deaths as a percent of the number of confirmed cases. They are plotting deaths per100,000 population. That makes the correlation they are trying to suggest even less pertinent.

Okay, thanks. There seems to be quite a bit of discrepancy there too.

I expect that the Trump administration already realizes what has happened and will release information to show that pandemic has really been a bioweapons attack. If Biden takes control in January, I expect him to secretly thank the Chinese government for releasing the virus to help swing the election, then he will blame Trump for every death. China owns Biden in my opinion.

There are a number of important implications if it turns out that the JE vaccination provides immunity to the virus:

1. We already have a safe vaccine available for COVID-19 since the JE vaccine is available and has been used for many years.

2. The ā€œsuccessfulā€ lockdowns in China were probably a sham to encourage policies in the US and Europe that would destroy our economies. The number of cases and deaths in China is consistent with the population already heard having immunity, and the outbreak in Wuhan may have been the result of intentionally infecting groups of people to create the perception of an epidemic. Perhaps China was correct when it originally claimed that human-to-human transmission was unlikely, but that was only true where most of the population already had resistance to the disease. That would explain how 5 million people were able to leave Wuhan immediately before the lockdown without creating a massive epidemic:
    Five million residents left Wuhan before coronavirus lockdown: report (nypost.com)

3. If the Chinese government is views the COVID-19 pandemic as a ā€œwinā€ for China, then more pandemics are likely come along as part of a strategy to further Chinaā€™s interests.

This thread started off with such promiseā€¦then of course just had to take a turn towards the conspiratorial.

Sighā€¦

2 Likes

Can you provide an alternate explanation of how 5 million people could leave Wuhan using packed buses and trains just before the lockdown without a nation-wide epidemic?

I see no reasonable explanation for the extraordinarily low COVID death rate in China other than the population was already highly resistant to the disease. One possibility is that China developed a COVID vaccine and secretly vaccinated over 1 billion people before the release of the virus. I think it is unlikely that China could do a task of this magnitude without the rest of the world finding out.

On the other hand, it certainly possible to engineer a virus to have features that would allow an existing vaccination to provide effective immunity. The probability of the coronavirus naturally having features create that would give cross-immunity with the JE virus is extremely unlikely for several important reasons:

1. The two viruses from different phyla and are unlikely to share similar features. For reference sharks and humans are in the same phylum.

2. They infect much different animals. JE is carried by mosquitos and infects pigs and water fowl in addition to humans, while COVIDā€™s closest wild relatives infect bats.

3. Most importantly natural selection would not favor a human version of a virus where most of the local population is already immune since such a mutation would immediately die out. I see no way such a virus would develop naturally; cross immunity with Japanese Encephalitis could be a smoking gun for a lab origin for COVID.

For reference here is some background information on the viruses:
Japanese encephalitis - Wikipedia
Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 - Wikipedia

We are going to find out that the virus Trumpā€™s adoring throng deliberately spread what they believed to be a Chinese bioterror weapon was in fact all along a Chinese bioweapon.

1 Like

New China TV did these stunts in Italy in early February. The message was if you donā€™t remove the mask and hug a stranger, you are xenophobic and racist. Of course at that same time China was locked down the virus was starting to spread in Europe and the US.

It looks like China was working hard to infect the world.

ā€œIā€™m not a virusā€: Chinese Italian man protests coronavirus-related prejudice - YouTube

Please hug me. Iā€™m Chinese. Iā€™m not a virus - YouTube

March 2, 2020, New York City health official at news conference the Gov. Cuomo and Mayor De Blasio:
. . . we know that there is no indication that it easy to spread through casual contact. There is no need to do any special anything in the community. We want New Yorkers to go about their daily lives. Ride the subway, take the bus, go see your neighbors . . .
Watch live: New York officials hold press conference on stateā€™s first coronavirus case (cnbc.com)

Looks like Democrats were following the guidance from China, but Chinaā€™s population appears to have been much more resistant to the virus.

1 Like

I am in the camp of thinking it was not a weapon but the virus got out of the Wuhan lab I would hope unintentionally. It doesnā€™t take a big leap on conspiracy to think that the only level 4 virus lab in China was just 300 yards away from the wet markets were supposedly it started from.

Interesting hypothesis and worthy of examination.

Interesting, if accurate, but the chart lacks some important information.

Namely
5% of the COVID patients in China die of the disease
vs.
2% in the US
vs.
0.5% in Germany.

It is also true that more than half of Chinese leave their windows open 12 months a year and almost zero Chines3 buildings are built with window that can never be opened.

None of Chinaā€™s numbers can be trusted so that 5% figure is likely actually multiples of 5%.

Because conspiracy never happens.

Conspiracy:

3. Law An agreement between two or more persons to commit a crime or accomplish a legal purpose through illegal action.