SARS-like virus spreading rapidly in China; cities quarantined; cases in US

Who here is really scared of this virus? What are you doing?

I would also think that cities in California would also be at risk for Clonorchis sinensis, or the Chinese liver fluke, given that Angel Island is in the state as a big immigration center. That, with the bubonic plague that is rising again in Los Angeles, as well as this virus…this spells disaster.

You are not sounding condescending. Thank you for being polite.

While i take these classes: please look up the Spanish flu and its causes and waste

1 Like

I shall do that after my shower.

There’s an obvious difference between the bbc reporting the facts and your boys Jones and Watson hawking super male vitality pills.

At this point in time, based on the available data, this is much more media hysteria than a true emergency. Unless China is completely fabricating the numbers, this particular strain of coronavirus does not appear to be significantly more virulent than typical strain. It does not approach the severity of SARS or MERS and as of now has a transmission rate (R0 to keep it simple) that is somewhat high, but still much lower than SARS.

This could change. It could hit a huge population center, mutate and become more severe/transmissible. China could be drastically underreporting and we already have an emergency. I think both of those are unlikely.

As of now, it’s 99% hysteria and 1% real concern.

2 Likes

They are overflowing which is why they have the crash 7 day hospital building program.

Imagine a MASH unit x about 1,000.

Well your last comment is certainly not true as demonstrated by the travel restrictions, our own DOS evacuating Americans, and the precautions being taken here at home and in Europe.

Not entirely true. One of the most effective controls for chronic gut ailments is the ingestion of probiotics.

In life stock it’s common to actually mix a little feces with feed to regain the floral balance after antibiotic treatment or physical stress such as shipping.

1 Like

Strong precautions are not a metric of disease severity. Disease mortality and rate of spread are. I’ll base my views on these facts rather than how tough the travel restrictions are.

This was your claim.

As of now, it’s 99% hysteria and 1% real concern.

The facts show that to be untrue.

What facts are you referring to? Here are some real facts.

Mortality rates -
Wuhan coronavirus mortality rate: 4%
SARS coronavirus mortality rate: 10%
MERS coronavirus mortality rate: 30%

Transmissibility (R0, higher number is more transmissible) -
Wuhan coronavirus R0: 1.4-2.5
SARS coronavirus R0: 2-5
MERS coronavirus R0: 0.5-1

More transmissible than MERS, less transmissible than SARS. Much less deadly than either.

I already laid them out.

That’s genuine concern by global health authorities.

There isn’t enough yet known about this virus to know it’s potential.

The only fact you gave in response to my post was something about travel precautions. What real facts did you lay out?

See above.

15 posts on your part. A link to a Yahoo article and zero facts to back your paranoia. Plenty is known. The entire virus genome has been sequenced. Mortality and reproduction rates have been calculated and are continuing to be updated.

I know science and statistics aren’t going to change your mind. You can continue to ignore them.

1 Like

China’s is using the ‘crisis’ to up it’s prestige to the world by going for the world record time for building a hospital and to it’s public by demonstrating the unique power and necessity of the central state to address events.

It hasnt’ been around long enough to develop any significant data on it. The virus was only first reported to WHO in Dec 2019.

World Health Authorities and governments are taking it seriously hence the precautions.

You aren’t a good judge of people. Blinded by hate.

There’s enough data to calculate mortality rate and R0 to the 95% confidence interval. Like I said, unless it mutates or China is lying, this is 99% hysteria.