Could we stop with "these are asylum seekers" nonsense

When you look at the history of asylum it was developed in reaction to wartime situations, not as a result of poverty, crime or any other negative social conditions that may plague many countries. The legal definition is very narrow and is only intended for unique situations:

Refugee status or asylum may be granted to people who have been persecuted or fear they will be persecuted on account of race, religion, nationality, and/or membership in a particular social group or political opinion.

A perfect example of genuine asylum would be a group of Christians being targeted and persecuted in a predominantly Muslim country. Honestly, how many of the millions of people showing up at the US border from all over the world, who are paying money to the cartels, are actually being persecuted (according to any legal definition), and more specifically on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion?

Go watch when these people are interviewed, they always talk about either poverty, no jobs, crime, gangs, wanting a better life, etc. If any of you believe that such things should qualify for asylum, then what you want is for about 4 billion people or so to show up at the US border! Furthermore, we are under NO obligation to let all these people into our country even if they do wish to say that they are here to claim asylum:

i. A state’s right to offer asylum is well known in international law. It follows from the principle that each sovereign state is considered to have exclusive control over its territory and, consequently, over persons present in its territory. One of the implications of this widely accepted rule is that each sovereign state has the right to grant or deny asylum to individuals within its borders. In international law, therefore, the right of asylum has traditionally been seen as the right of a state, rather than the right of an individual.

In other words, none of these people have any right to be here, and we are under no obligation to allow any of these people into the country.

6 Likes

How many people are granted asylum for what you feel are invalid reasons?

All of them from Latin America and Mexico. There are no asylum conditions in any of those countries.

12 Likes

Recruiting future liberal progressive voters.

This is part of the One Horse Dog Faced Pony Soldier handlers’ “Secure Power Program” and turn the USA into a third world country.

3 Likes

It depends upon who is the asylum judge:

https://trac.syr.edu/immigration/reports/670/

2 Likes

Exactly. We know the reasons why they are coming, it’s no secret:

None of this has anything to with “race, religion, nationality, and/or membership in a particular social group or political opinion.”

7 Likes

Or persecution by their state.

2 Likes

Yes, but still based on “race, religion, nationality, and/or membership in a particular social group or political opinion.”

2 Likes

And you can double that argument for any that came through Mexico but were not Mexican. They no longer needed asylum once they were in Mexico.

8 Likes

Yep. What Myorkas claims are root causes to this migration is not the same as what legally makes up asylum.
Since this migration increased enormously under Biden, I would say the failed Biden administration is the root cause.

4 Likes

How does DHS Secretary and One Horse Dog Faced Pony Soldier feel about Cubanos escaping Cuba?

Have they changed their July 2021 position?

All the Biden Administration is doing with their false and misleading talking points is to try and fool the American people (many of whom are ignorant on such matters) into believing that they don’t want open borders. Like has been demonstrated already none of this “root causes” ■■■■■■■■ has anything to do with the intent of asylum:

didn’t we close most asylums in the late 70’s?

1 Like

The only 2 places are Afghan and Ukrainian.

Everyone else is an economic tourist or CCP spy.

1 Like

NPR buying anything a Democrat Pres says. I am soooo surprised.

3 Likes

and yet immigration judges grant them. maybe they know more than you do.

there are plenty of asylum conditions in southern north america.

Allan

And exactly who determines whether immigration judges are following the strict letter of the law or are largely influenced by personal feelings, political ideology, etc?

Furthermore, if you read the other link I posted before the reality is that being granted asylum varies depending on who the judge is.

1 Like

I’m not trying to “fundamentally transform America”.

2 Likes

neither is anyone else.

Allan

We know exactly why these people are coming (from the CFR link):

Many interrelated factors are driving people from the Northern Triangle, including lack of economic opportunity, environmental challenges, and chronic violence.

Here’s the five point plan put out by the Biden Administration (from the NPR link I posted), which essentially says the same:

In February, President Biden signed an executive order that called for the development of a migration strategy. The five-point plan unveiled Thursday seeks to address economic inequality, combat corruption and strengthen democratic institutions, protect human and labor rights, and counter criminal gangs and combat gender violence.

Please tell me what in that five point plan addresses specifics pertaining to the legal definition of asylum?

Refugee status or asylum may be granted to people who have been persecuted or fear they will be persecuted on account of race, religion, nationality, and/or membership in a particular social group or political opinion.

I would love to know exactly WHAT GROUP of people in ALL these countries are actually persecuting anyone for one, and more specifically targeting people based on race, religion, nationality, and/or membership in a particular social group or political opinion? Are there a bunch of white supremacists and right wingers in these countries as well?

2 Likes