Income equality. Where to start

Fair enough. Rent on how big a place? Steak? Gucci?

So what? So do people who aren’t Walmart employees. Walmart is the go to store for government assistance. Plus they get a discount.

(Of course, nobody questions why a persons “ends” that need to be met are so far apart in the first place.)

1 Like

right. thats what i mean. not to assess the worth of a the human itself, which they somehow try to roll into discussion

Yes. To remake it better.

1 Like

In 1964 (the year before they stopped making silver quarters), the minimum wage was $1.25 per hour.

A 1964 silver quarter weighs in at 6.25 grams and is 90% silver and 10% copper.

5 silver quarters comes out to 28.125 grams of silver (roughly one ounce) and 3.125 grams of copper.

Leaving out the ~3 grams in copper, the current bidding price for 28.125 grams of silver is ~$15.25.

What’s a copper-nickel alloy quarter worth these days? 25 cents?

:man_shrugging:

One room with a bath and kitchen, hamburger, JC Penny

Do you want to subsidized the Walmarts of the world that pay less than a basic, living wage?

That’s not true. Ends equals a warm, dry home, basic healthy food on the table and clean, un-tattered cloths on their backs.

Oh, come on Sneaky, that’s not so.

You don’t need to destroy America to make it better; you can build on what’s already good.

Are you arguing for a $15.00 minimum wage?

The best place to start is with work effort equality and it will lead to income equality. If you begin with income equality, it will never lead to work effort equality. Placing income first, is putting the cart, before the horse.

2 Likes

Not when employers/companies have all the power. America was a better place when unions had more say.

A factory or construction job provided for a middle class life. A house and 2 cars, maybe a summer cabin too plus vacations every year.

So YOU say.

Highlighted is YOUR criterion.

The greeter, floor-sweeper, shopping cart jockey, … they get the unskilled wage. It’s what they earn. People with more experience and skills get more. It’s that way at any and every corporation out there.

1 Like

Globalization and technology radically changed the economic landscape of the 1950’s. Add to that the skyrocketing costs of education and healthcare.

Nobody…has power over you? You have to give that to someone and I have no idea why anyone would do that?

Yup, so I say. Am I wrong?

And it wasn’t always so at every corporation. Employers/corporations have driven down wages for years all while squeezing out more productivity from workers. This doesn’t just apply to floor-sweepers but to skilled factory and construction workers.

More money going to the very top at the expense of everyone else isn’t sustainable.

1 Like

Do you favor Right to Work laws? Don’t they give more power to corporations?

You are saying that’s what their “ends” are. You simply don’t know that. And you’re saying their income cannot provide those things. You don’t know that.

You’re tossing out a lot of nebulous, undefined statements and expecting the conversation to adopt them as fact. In that context, yes you are wrong.

Skilled workers get paid what they are worth, and that is certainly more than the unskilled jobs. It is that way at any corporation.

Take it up with the Doctor (see earlier) who was trying to say that the lib argument isn’t about the people at the very top making too much.

For the record, people at the top don’t get more AT THE EXPENSE OF everyone else. Take 50 million Jeff Bezos’ salary and divide it among the 800,000 amazon employees, and they’ll get an extra $60 each. Divide that amount among Wal Mart’s 2.2million employees and what would you have? :man_shrugging:

Can you not say, kiss my ass and walk…at any time? Are you that easy to replace? Do you not have any skills that you bring to the table? No one has power over you…

…well…cept my wife. “Coming dear”. Gotta go. :sunglasses:

1 Like