Coronavirus Thread Political

Lest we forget these words of wisdom from our leading thinkers.

WildRoseFlyover Country

LucyLou

Jan 25

Your contributions are truly invaluable. Thanks for the wisdom.

Since I seem to have missed it, what is your solution to prevent this from becoming an epidemic in the US?

1 Reply

LucyLouAppreciated

Jan 25

Thanks. It’s not going to be an epidemic here. Anymore than Ebola was.

Your welcome.

I really love these Gems.

SottoVoce

Jan 25

At this point in time, based on the available data, this is much more media hysteria than a true emergency. Unless China is completely fabricating the numbers, this particular strain of coronavirus does not appear to be significantly more virulent than typical strain. It does not approach the severity of SARS or MERS and as of now has a transmission rate (R0 to keep it simple) that is somewhat high, but still much lower than SARS.

This could change. It could hit a huge population center, mutate and become more severe/transmissible. China could be drastically underreporting and we already have an emergency. I think both of those are unlikely.

As of now, it’s 99% hysteria and 1% real concern.

3 Replies

Words of wisdom we should remember for all time.

SottoVoce

Jan 25

What facts are you referring to? Here are some real facts.

Mortality rates -
Wuhan coronavirus mortality rate: 4%
SARS coronavirus mortality rate: 10%
MERS coronavirus mortality rate: 30%

Transmissibility (R0, higher number is more transmissible) -
Wuhan coronavirus R0: 1.4-2.5
SARS coronavirus R0: 2-5
MERS coronavirus R0: 0.5-1

More transmissible than MERS, less transmissible than SARS. Much less deadly than either.

WildRoseFlyover Country

Jan 25

I already laid them out.

That’s genuine concern by global health authorities.

There isn’t enough yet known about this virus to know it’s potential.

SottoVoce

Jan 25

The only fact you gave in response to my post was something about travel precautions. What real facts did you lay out?

WildRoseFlyover Country

Jan 25

See above.

SottoVoce

Jan 25

15 posts on your part. A link to a Yahoo article and zero facts to back your paranoia. Plenty is known. The entire virus genome has been sequenced. Mortality and reproduction rates have been calculated and are continuing to be updated.

I know science and statistics aren’t going to change your mind. You can continue to ignore them.

1 Reply

The latency period is 2 weeks. That’s why quarantining people for two weeks and testing them before release works.

Are you sure? Because you are on record for a few days…till you were corrected about that as well.

And yet it still got out

1 Like

No I’m not, I never said any such thing period.

I’d take Sottos opinion since he is in the field over you…who has zero…

Of course you would even though he was absolutely wrong from the start.

Actually you did .and I believe Siko corrected you on it.

Please dude…

1 Like

No I didn’t, you’re just making things up again.

Well that’s just provably not the case.

No…no I’m not. I’m not a liar

America has it highest single increase with 987 cases.

The medical experts have advised against shaking hands with people. When Trump and Pence were asked whether they would continue to shake hands? Their answers were yes they would continue.

Medical experts said that people should exercise social distancing. Did Trump, Pence and the doctors in his task force exercise social distancing during their press conferences?

Nope it’s true, you were in fact accusing others of fear mongering. This is one of your posts in the locked thread.

No you’re simply fear mongering and furthering the actual hoax, the media over hyping the story for political purposes.

Turns out the media was right anout that it was going to get serious here but that didnt stop you from calling others out for fear mongering

2 Likes

if there were any spots left that could leave a mark…that would have left a huge mark

Even if one accepts your assertion that a younger person generally won’t have any complications what happens to those that the younger person infects and the ones who are subsequently infected?

Provide the full quote with a link in context.

Collateral damage. No big.

Linking to a locked thread is not possible but you already knew that

Of course you can and I’ve already done so above.

What thread? What post?

How much is human life worth to you?
To the federal government, for regulatory analysis purposes, it’s generally considered to be in the $7-9M range. Let’s say $7M. Estimate 100,000 coronavirus deaths when all is said and done (although I’ve seen MUCH higher estimates). The break-even point for a cost-benefit analysis in this scenario would be $700B, or about one year’s defense budget, based on the loss of life alone. However, that doesn’t take into account the economic losses stemming from a major outbreak like this. I’m sure the stock market alone has lost TRILLIONS already, and hospitality and travel industries in particular will be losing billions if not more. Then figure on lost productivity, lost educational time, overwhelming of hospitals, and a host of other coronavirus-related losses. What has a better ROI in terms of the common welfare, military $$ or pandemic preparedness $$? Can we really afford NOT to have this capability?