Coronavirus Thread Political II

Was the conflict foreseeable or not foreseeable?

If you just do nothing.
experts predict it will infect 80% of the U.S population.

No…

Mortality rates -
Wuhan coronavirus mortality rate: >2% (and falling)
SARS coronavirus mortality rate: 10%
MERS coronavirus mortality rate: 30%

Transmissibility (R0, higher number is more transmissible) -
Wuhan coronavirus R0: 1.4-2.5
SARS coronavirus R0: 2-5
MERS coronavirus R0: 0.5-1

More transmissible than MERS, less transmissible than SARS. Much less deadly than either.

That’s not the sign of a virus about to go hog wild or one that (in one claim I heard) seems ready to infect 60% of the world’s population.

1 Like

Libs were the first ones on this board to call it a Chinese Virus. :+1:

2 Likes

MLB cancelled, NBA cancelled, PGA cancelled, South Korea Starcraft still on.

1 Like

Another fictitious virus.

I don’t get it, isn’t this exactly what was going on in the now locked down “political” thread?

Wuhan coronavirus doesn’t exist.

And good morning, folks.

Hope everyone is having a fever-free day!

3 Likes

Of course they are. This is the political thread after all.

Apparently the forum software autolocks threads at 10,000 posts. The old once was starting to get close to that so the mods created this new one.

Journalists: Mr. President, what would you say to those Americans who are worried about the health of their families, their job security, making rent, and avoiding a recession?

President: That’s a nasty question! You’re a terrible reporter! You should be ashamed of yourself!

3 Likes

Journalists: We are all going to die! All of us. And soon! Very soon. Because of POTUS. Job done - what’s for lunch?

1 Like

Westaussie: It comes with surprise how a Down Under countryman like yourself is sounding so harsh about incompetence of a government in a foreign land.

I saw as of February 15,2020, more than 46 million acres (72,000 square miles) of land were burned in thousands of fires since June 2019. And at least 80% of the Blue Mountain World Heritage area and 53% of the Gondwana world heritage rain forest’s in Queensland were burned. I also saw a report that fires killed at least 29 people and some 2,500 homes were destroyed. Add to that a billion animals perished.

What little good we do hear about the blazes comes with the apparent high spirit and resolve of many Aussies. It brings tears to one eyes watching video of rescue successes to save precious wildlife. And even while thousands of people’s lives are being disrupted, there are still flocks of ordinary citizens volunteering to create a firefighting force, often forgoing weeks of work at their regular jobs to fight the blazes.

While I am sure there are many who believe your government’s response hasn’t always been inspiring, they still make due the best they can. Now that the World is enduring together through this pandemic, we on this forum all have the opportunity to rise above the fray.

1 Like

It’s not really dishonest. There are a lot of people who believe we should have nothing to do with China. It’s really easy to find someone saying we don’t make anything in America anymore and it’s all Chinese crap. I can see Trump pulling 50 percent plus approval at this moment because I can see left wing Nationalists supporting him at the moment.

Mad Maxine’s schtick used to be funny. Now that she’s becoming irrelevant her need for the limelight is getting annoying.

It’s not acceptable to-day?

Hmm…I recall people telling me a coordinated effort amongst federal, state and local officials was a dumb idea.

What could possibly go wrong not coordinating?

And no…the “market” cannot be the “invisible hand” coordinating the effort.

This is a market buster.

1 Like