Yet another example illustrating "Get Woke. Go Broke."

It’s crazy how totally out of the loop and plain wrong this thread is.

The decline is due to children’s content on YouTube and twitch plus games like fortnite. Content aimed at children on YouTube Routinely gets hundreds of millions of views now.

But gotta stick to the trumpy narrative :roll_eyes:

Those Japanese cartoons either dubbed in English or subtitled… I watch a couple episodes of one of them and wondered if someone had drugged me because they made less than zero sense.

That’s like watching big bang theory and then saying you hate all live action shows there are probably 10s of thousands of anime in every genre

Well the whole style I’m not a fan of. I grew up on GI Joe, Thundercats, and TMNT.

1 Like

Speed Racer was really good.

Nothing tops Chuck Jones and the Looney Tunes era.

Contemporary kudos to Family Guy uncensored.

2 Likes

Was it a comedy? Japanese comedy really isn’t for me. That or maybe you jumped into the middle of some kids show.

If you have Hulu, give the first episode of Cowboy Bebop a try. It was the first anime to show me that anime in general could be more than the kid stuff.

1 Like

It was dragonball or something like that.

It’s just like any other entertainment medium. Some of it is absolutely fantastic, provided you know where to look - the rest is crap.

Heh … I started watching Dragonball Z because, having seen a few episodes mostly just because they were what was on, I was curious how long they could drag out the fight with Frieza.

But Dragonball is pretty straight forward. At least they didn’t up and decide to start over for no reason the way Tenchi Muyo did … twice. And it wasn’t from the sub-genre that produced Paranoia Agent.

I have no idea what any of this means :joy:

1 Like

Fair enough.

Tenchi Muyo is an anime in a sub-genre called “harem” (where the lead ends up surrounded by beautiful women) but in its specific instance it started off telling a story and just as that story is really developing and it was in danger of having a great plot and stuff … it starts over telling a different yet similar story with the same cast … and then just about when that gets going … they did it again.

The only way I can make sense of it is that the real story they started to tell became less interesting to them than the harem aspects, which apparently requires no overarching plot, and the subsequent iterations then become like a guy revision-daydreaming how he’d get all these girls.

The plots they started to develop had promise though. I’m guessing there was a Manga (Japanese comic book) finish for each that preceded the Anime.

For an example of a show that seemingly has the trappings of a harem genre but isn’t one Outlaw Star comes to mind.

Now, Paranoia Agent is a very different beast and was actually social commentary on Japanese culture as the lost decade hit and people were proverbially working themselves to death. But to tell the tale it uses another sub-genre some refer to as a mind-**** and the tale has supernatural elements revolving around a character called Little Slugger, a boy on golden roller blades carrying a bent bat who attacks people caught up in the rat race and despairing in it. The police investigation into these attacks holds the plot together.

It’s actually a fantastic Anime.

Edit: 1st episode

1 Like

If you have Hulu and you’re not recommending the only anime worth watching - Attack on Titan - you are a villainous and criminal demon from the Pit beneath The Abyss.

1 Like

Ha, I watched the first season years ago when it came out. Never got back into it when the new seasons did. I’ll check it out eventually, since I hear it’s gotten really good. But, I kinda hated the first season. Especially that one character that was whining all the time.

1 Like

A little cringe, but ultimately harmless.

3 Likes

What a totally foolish cause and attitude that’s going to see employees forced to look for other jobs.

Good for customers who closed their accounts.

1 Like

My bank phoned me yesterday, trying to sell me additional financial services. My answer, you are lucky I haven’t gotten around to switching banks yet given your open support of ESG, rest assured that error will be corrected shortly, good day.

3 Likes

Pardon my ignorance here. What’s ESG?

Not much different than China’s social credit scoring.

2 Likes

Disney’s stock value has dropped by $50 billion since 2021 when the media company increased its activism on behalf of the LGBT agenda.

4 Likes