With everything happening, it's time to recognize Juneteenth as a National Holiday

Omg :joy:

9 Likes

Today every celebrated it. But let’s not pretend it meant independence for all people. It didn’t.

1 Like

Who is pretending it did? It did however mean independence for the country every American now calls home. My white ancestors didn’t have any good reason to especially like this country until fairly recently either. Ask my sharecropper grandfather on one side and my miner grandfather who wasn’t paid enough to put food on the table or shoes on his kids feet, who was brutalized by government enforcers for asking for higher pay and then died of black lung at fifty how much allegiance they had to America.

Yes, yes, but they were free, free to do as they were told and to watch their children starve and shiver. Yay for us.

1 Like

From English rule it did.

But they were free, right?

Yes, I believe I mentioned, they were free to do as they were told or have their heads busted open, while they watched their children go hungry. Free to go and die in wars they didn’t start too. Oh wait, no, they were conscripted.

So not the same as chattel slavery. Which is where my ancestors were in 1776 through 1863ish.

Did you ancestors ever have to fight in wars as slaves? Or fight in wars and return home to Jim Crow?

Never said they didn’t have it worse, just pointing out, that doesn’t mean everyone else had it good. Do you tell
Cancer survivors not to complain about cancer because they didn’t die of it? Oh and there were times my ancestors looked at slavery and thought it might be better, like when they ran out of food and slaves were still eating. Just as former slaves found out, sharecropping meant you were free, but you could now be free to earn even less than slaves, ie not enough to feed you family. Would you have told them their suffering was irrelevant now that you are free?

This thread isn’t about white sharecroppers. You brought that into the thread, not me.

1 Like

Just the ones who were brought here in chains.

I FINALLY figured out how to show the quote!
Okay so listen dude, the 4th was a white holiday at it’s inception… but it’s still American history and BECAME a holiday for all as time progressed.

I’m saying, Juneteenth is a primarily celebrated by African Americans, but it’s just as much American history as the 4th… Shouldn’t it be celebrated by everyone too???

2 Likes

In my view, we have more than enough national holidays as it is. We start giving one out to every ethnicity with some event in us history to celebrate and we won’t have any days of work left. Was it any more important than the end of Native American genocide? But I have no objection if it’s a working holiday. We can have as many of those as you want.

Yeah, I don’t think anyone is calling for a celebration of native genocide :woozy_face:
If we have too many holidays then cut one out. :man_shrugging:t6: Take your pick.

Also, you continue to fail in understanding this is an enormous event in American history. More Americans died than any other war to date for Juneteenth to occur. It’s only an “ethnic holiday” because we allow it to be. This is American history. Just like Independence Day.

Otherwise… we can set the narrative straight on all these other holidays you simply accept as “American” but are ethnic in origin.

Martin Luther King Day.

1 Like

I actually thought as I typed the thread how Juneteenth should have been made a holiday instead of his birthday. That would’ve been the proper way to honor not only him, but African Americans at large. MLK has turned him into “Santa Clause” when the man was hated enough for… murder

Never happen.

We could get rid of Labor Day.

There’s not a lot of choices.

You know full well I didn’t suggest celebrating their genocide, just the opposite in fact.

And you don’t want to celebrate the liberation of millions of Americans because “we have too many holidays”-- got it :+1:t6:

2 Likes

I wanna hear more about how it should be celebrated. My interest was piqued with food.

Traditionally I believe with BBQ.

1 Like