With everything happening, it's time to recognize Juneteenth as a National Holiday

Two celebrations in one day? Pass me the pipe!

Does every minority group get their own holiday, or just black people?

I am unsure if Juneteenth was our actual “independence day”. Yes slavery ended and that is a good thing… but we went from that to Jim Crow, so were we really “free”?

But I’ll take an extra holiday

White people have July 4th

No, everyone does.

1 Like

Ask a lot of us and you’ll find it’s mostly a day off to relax, eat some good food, etc. But it’s not necessarily celebrated in the same sense that it may be for you

human error on my part, I had trouble adding tags and apparently still had the 4th in mind the second time around

1 Like

How about just the groups who were freed from slavery in this country?

Were black people “freed” on July 4th 1776?

No and neither were white people.

2 Likes

Here we go…

Yep, right down History Road.

No, but the country they now inhabit of their own free will was formed. Are we going to have a national holiday to celebrate important milestones for every ethnic group in America? When will any work ever get done? Or does this only apply to black people for some reason?

Some of my ancestors were British, why should “we” be forced to celebrate the Fourth of July?

They weren’t free when tbd country was formed.
No one is saying get rid of the 4th… Are you really that insecure about celebrating our holiday too?

Wait, I remember you. You had the alien avatar… :joy:

3 Likes

Just wondering why black people should get a holiday, what about oh, The end of internment day for Japanese Americans, or the end of exclusion for Chinese Americans? End of genocide day for Native Americans? I can go on and on. How many national holidays can we have? When will we work?

So you’re saying get rid of the 4th and other holidays? :thinking:

Again, no, the fourth is a holiday for everyone, not just for white people. Are you glad this country exists or not? If you prefer England, you know where the airport is.

1 Like

I’m sure you are…after all they had same experience as whites for the first 100 years or so of this country. Blacks had every opportunity to make something of themselves just like whites back then.

1 Like

It was no picnic for most white people either.

1 Like