Why would any country ever sign a deal with the US anymore

NK to be sure. Nothing worth exporting, and nothing to lose.

There is now absolutely no reason for Iran to stick to the deal at all because the the US will put sanctions on them. Doesn’t matter that the other nations that are a party to it stay in the deal. The deal is effectively caput.

Iran will now start up their nuclear program again.

Winning!

In addition, this makes any deal with NK that much harder because the US, and particularly this administration, has shown they don’t stick to negotiated deals.

Trump has given NK the upper hand.

No, it was by executive order, that’s the only way it can be undone by Trump with a stroke of a pen.

1 Like

Mr. Obama is likely to go down in history as a rare president whose single biggest foreign policy and domestic achievements were won with no Republican votes, a stark departure from his 2008 campaign that was fueled by the promise of bridging Washington’s yawning partisan divide. As with the Iran accord, the health care law — passed exclusively with Democratic votes — was a policy achievement that has come to define his presidency, in part through the vehemence of its opponents in Congress.

If I used Fox for the exact same information you would say “oh, that’s not an acceptable news source”. So you are going to either say I’m a hypocrite for using CNN or not using a reputable news source. I never said that CNN doesn’t report facts, just that it is biased and uses anonymous sources too frequenly (i.e. rumors in many cases). And much more so now than when that article appeared. My biggest source of news was probably CNN until they went Trump insane.

Oh. If you “read up” on this, everything is different (snicker).

Because they need us.

1 Like

The “Right wing talking points” ARE the reasons the deal was bad.

In fact, no matter what reasons someone could give you, you’d just dismiss it as a right wing talking point.

1 Like

Yes, they use anonymous sources but most editors insist that reporters often have more than a single source confirm the story. Anonymous sources aren’t “rumors.” Commentators make conclusions.

As far as going “Trump insane”, there’s been a lot to report. And who went insane? Remember all Trump’s dumping on CNN during the campaign? He went “CNN insane” first.

None so blind…

Watch China fill that role now. Our influence is dwindling. Make America great? Not happening.

If NK wants a binding commitment with the US I suggest that they follow the procedure for such agreements as established in the Constitution. They enter a treaty with the US. Anything else would be an agreement with Trump, not a binding agreement with the US.
And the same with agreements Obama made.
The letter of authorization for a treaty is the Constitution.

Yes, Grandwazoo, I agree. Trump won the election and has the right to do these things. But he owes it to us to explain in detail his thinking, plusses and minuses.

Without such an explanation, I am left to think he did it satisfy his minority base and rile up his opponents. He may have a grand strategy but his credibility and leadership are so wanting I almost always have an unfavorable interpretation of his words and actions.

Make that always. I’ve lost any objectivity about this guy.

Not good.

So, when Bush made an agreement with Gadaffi in Libya and then Hillary Clinton and Barak Obama demolished it by helping to overthrow him, you don’t think that ALREADY negated anyone’s belief in the efficacy of our agreements??

And what makes you think Iran was abiding by the terms, since we were unable to inspect all of Iran and at any time we wanted to?

CLEARLY they were NOT abiding by the spirit of the agreement when they were trying to develop weapons systems - intercontinental missiles - that are only good for offensive use over great distances.

M

Agreed, but do you think Trump cares? Will you be ok if he signs onto an agreement without getting a treaty?

I saw him explain why he was pulling out this afternoon with his announcement. He is NOT going to telegraph what he will do going forward. That would be the worst possible negotiating strategy.

M

Why would any country ever sign a deal with the US anymore

I suggest you ask Q’Daffi who no only signed a deal but adhered to it and denuclearized completely.

In thanks, for the first time in History Obama attacked a US Ally that was fully compliant with the agreement they had signed.

The lessons to be learned from backing out of the Iran agreement? Let’s see.

Trump will not sign a bad agreement just so he can brag about having put a deal together.

The US will not be made a fool of in future such nuclear deals.

I’ll take that over the legacy of failure and deceit left by the previous administration.

1 Like

Yep the Iran deal worked out so good for everyone Iran has broadened it’s reach all over the ME and even built two bases in Syria. Worked like a charm!

1. A framework agreement is NOT a treaty.
  2. there is /was a provision allowing either side to end participation with no reason needed.