Why so serious?

I don’t drink.

I don’t blame the mods. It is wear you down to an inch so we can take a mile.

They are smart not to play.

Two cannibals are eating a clown.

One turns to the other and says:

Does this taste funny to you?

1 Like

Perhaps that’s the problem. :wink:

I will just ad my 2 cent piece in here. When I start a thread, the hope is that it will spark some conversation and perhaps get some good numbers in posting. I try and source it right and provide good commentary and hope for the best.

And sometimes, despite all of this, it falls off the front page without much of a comment.

And sometimes, it really takes off. That is satisfying to me, to say the least.

I could care less, personally, where the thread evolves or devolves into, as long as it sparks a conversation. And like any conversation, where it eventually heads may be totally different than the intended path.

But that is okay.

I still get the satisfaction of seeing my thread thrive and become a place where people go back to and chime in, and that is always good enough.

Humor, branches of conversation diverging and even several conversations happening all in the same thread are things I enjoy, I don’t get upset that everyone isn’t following a rigid structured path. That is the path to a short thread, once you have stated your opinion there isn’t really much else to say and no one here is going to change their mind due to a compelling argument, we are all quite inured to contrary opinions.

And what you don’t want is for folks to be cautious in posting because they fear they are diverging too wildly, which can lead to sanctions and possible banning.

Anyways that is my 2 cents.

Who has been banned on this forum under this administrator for “diverging wildly”?

Banning has a specific meaning.

Seek help if you thought that was funny.

:crazy_face:

Some politics and politicians are funny.

Look at all the people who make fun of dumb politicians ( on both sides), there are plenty of them to go around.

Some political cartoons are outrageously funny.

Politics is funny, no two ways about it.

Allan

I don’t understand how folks get banned, honestly. I literally was given a 24 hour timeout recently for defending Trump supporters, saying they were not a cult and could never be a cult. I even posted the definition of a cult and showed how the term was inaccurate.

I was so perplexed I stopped posting for a while, and tried not to respond to other posters on any subject, I just added my perspective and kept it at that. I have done my very best to be civil in all things, but timeouts and bans shouldn’t be so mysterious. I was scratching my head trying to figure out what I had done.

At this stage, I won’t go off topic, I won’t joke, and once I get my 2 cents in I won’t comment on a thread because I feel like I can be banned for near anything. Perhaps that is an overreaction, but I am unsure what is safe any more.

5 Likes

Some times it’s all you can do but to laugh.

Maybe will can have a sub forum for dumb things that politicians do and save politics for serious discussions.

Allan

That won’t work…best humor is usually the spur of moment type of thing.

I think the mods should just let things go longer and see how it plays out before deleting posts unless someone, especially the OP, actually flags a post.

If a thread goes off in another direction from what the OP originally started discussing and the OP is cool with it, does it harm the forum experience for others?

The problem here is we have those that purposely try to derail a threat with second or third post into a new thread.

1 Like

Just watch the thread 10 or so posts and see if it recovers or becomes an issue. Also thats open to interpretation since I’ve personally been accused of trying to derail a thread when that was not my intent.

Interesting choice of words. Are you admitting that is/was your intentions?

Freudian slip. :wink:

I correct my error. Its never my intent.

Here is prime example of what I’m talking about.

It seems when one is uncomfortable with topic…or the truth one deflects.

And that’s not counting the posts mods deleted before I requested thread closer.

That’s not a derail, its on topic in a politics forum where a supporter of one president is complaining about another president when the president they support is guilty of the same thing they are accusing the other of.

It I started a thread complaining about how corrupt Trump is you bet there would be posters bringing up Obama’s sins.

1 Like

it seems when one is uncomfortable with the topic… or the truth one requests threads to be closed.

1 Like