Why so serious?

Because sometimes its not clear what’s an offhanded comment and whats you saying this needs to stop.

Understood. @TommyLucchese did you understand “this needs to stop” from my “offhanded comment”?

@fallenturtle what did you understand from it?

No you’re not.

Of course I am. The more the merrier. Merry Christmas by the way.

What’s on your mind?

All seems relative and assumptive accept for you, so I’m sorry that I abused you.

Honestly, I was a little confused by it because it seemed premature.

“Seems”? “Except for me”, not “accept”. Damnit! I should have written a poem and posted a meme!

Ok, but what message did you receive from it?

Are you asking me to let you troll just a little bit…?

You should have!

1 Like

I respect you.

I didn’t receive any message from it.

I’m asking you to reconsider what you think of as trolling. Consider intent. Ishmael said it was a typo and I responded saying, I know, just joking winky face. A troll would have tried to flame things and make a bigger spectacle.

I think you did, but it’s ok because it wasn’t addressed to you.

No. Again, what got them deleted? Not the poem, not the meme.

After thinking on it. I can understand this. I can see how some people might get their feelings hurt, if people don’t take their topic seriously.

Maybe it’s just personal differences, but I’m never been a fan of rigidity and, much prefer fluid discussions. If a thread topic changed, and people starting discussing something else, to me, that signaled the original discussion had died. No different than if people had just stopped posting in it, and created a new one.

Unless specifically noted, I never considered any topic to be taken super seriously. (If I remember right, the old HF, had a forum specifically there for much more serious debate). None of us are statesmen, diplomats, or whatever. To me this place is no different than a group of friends getting together in a bar, or coffee shop, beer/coffee in hand, and just shooting the breeze about various topics of the day.

Maybe threads can be notated, that people want serious discussion only? That way those who take it personally when their thread shifts, can be able to discuss their topic without worry?

The community? I always figured this was what flagging was for, before everyone used it as a weapon.

Sorry, guess I misunderstood. I thought you were saying my initial post (“poem”?) was trolling.

I disagree that it’s hurt feelings. I think it’s disrespect, but common ground.

The difference is it’s not everybody, it’s one or two (sometimes more) and in many cases it is intentional.

Yeah it did, politics. You see me moderating in Trivial Pursuits?

I’m willing to try it if management agrees. I’ll tell you now it will be on any thread I start.

No, and the community abused the hell out of flagging, remember. It still goes on some, albeit to a much less extent. The Community lost that privilege with the flag war.

Technically it was, but good spirited and fun. If it stops there, it’s fine.

I have a question about this. If it’s not serious, why is it in politics?

1 Like

The Grinch is real. :wink:

Soapbox something? Or was that for something else? I distinctly remember their being something dedicated for actual structured debate? I’m probably just misremembering.

I come here mostly for light hearted political discussion, and pick and choose when to get serious, with actual research, and sources. I don’t have the time to take every topic seriously and research everything. So I treat web forums, like I do real life, when hanging out at a bar or coffeeshop. Light hearted discussion on politics, or whatever, with jokes thrown about here and there.

I honestly figured most people are similar, seeing as how, not everyone is constantly researching, and sourcing every topic in depth.

1 Like

Personally, I think this would be a much better Forum if most of those serious threads turned into joke feasts instead of the pissing matches that they commonly end up in. But that’s just me …

1 Like