Why so serious?

@RayStark you should have left it, it was funny. I can put it back if you want.

We’re here. What else is bothering y’all?

thanks. i would.

1 Like

I can see that. Some trolls. Some smart asses.

You’re right, it did start with me, so from that aspect its my fault and I accept that, but if your issue was with what Tommy said regarding “the price of gay” thread, then it was your response, “Now it’s about a typo” that he responded to. So in that sense its your fault for commenting on his response instead of just letting the joke sit there and fade into the background.

1 Like

Barracks lawyering never ends around here. Yes, he responded to my comment (hint) to get back on topic with a story. All he had to do was take a hint and stop.

But he chose a different path. And now the off topic posts are gone. Oh well.

What else you got?

Just a joke, considering the thread topic, I thought it was funny.

I’ve made my positions known, on thread evolution before, so I won’t say much. But, I do think considerations should be made when it comes to levity. Everything doesn’t have to be so serious all the time. I can understand piling on can be a problem, but I feel there needs to be some balance and consideration before deciding to nip something in the bud.

People don’t always want 100% serious discussions, sometimes people want to joke, and have fun. I’m not a mod, so I’m sure finding that balance is hard, but I do think it’s something to keep in mind.

1 Like

I have no idea what you’re referring to.

In my opinion moderators shouldn’t hint. There should be no ambiguity because you are the law around here and ambiguity leads to confusion. The thread hadn’t become about a typo… there were just a few posts about it and it would have likely gone back on topic without any intervention. If it hadn’t then a comment like “enough about the typo, let’s stay on topic please” would have clearly communicated your point.

You are both a mod and a person who partakes in the conversations here, so it needs to be more clear which hat you are wearing when you post and when you add silly gifs or passive comments about the thread being about a typo, we can’t clearly tell which hat you are wearing.

1 Like

I know, I’m not mad. I didn’t think it was particularly funny. I think there is a place for funny, even in the politics forum, look at the meme thread. Some of those are hilarious.

There are threads here that are funny. So what’s the difference? The OP and the first few posts. If the OP took it seriously and the posters are as well, it deserve some respect. If the OP and posts are nonsensical or blatantly just eye-poking and trolling follows so be it’s deserved. I’ll wait for the flags and let it run or move it to Fever Dreams. (Have you noticed we aren’t using that as much?)

But when people are putting in effort to have some kind of civil discussion and somebody decides to disrupt it out of selfishness or to get a laugh, where’s the fair in that?

Ok, I’ll listen to you. But understand this, if the piling on is let go too long, it destroys the conversation and even all that time cleaning it up doesn’t generally bring it back. Discussions have a shelf life. Completely changing the topic to a typo is not “evolution” in my book. Change my mind. And evolution is not sole consent. There were some people a couple of days ago turning a thread into a cooking thread (again). This isn’t the cooking forum, it’s the politics forum. You want to discuss cooking, go to the correct forum and start a thread, don’t run all over somebody else’s.

A hint was given, accepted and back we go. This isn’t Twitter or Facebook.

Agreed. And there are plenty of other forums here to do that. As long as it is at least remotely on topic to the thread, it’s fine here.

@fallenturtle’s poem wasn’t what got them deleted. Even @TommyLucchese’s meme didn’t. What got them deleted was @TommyLucchese insisting on continuing down the off topic path. All he had to do is stop.

If we didn’t your poem would have been deleted as soon as you posted it and an official warning issued. Is that what you want?

Yes it did.

Maybe, probably not.

100s of times, but I will take it under advisement. Seriously.

How can it be more clear? My gifs aren’t silly.

This is actually interesting to me. Why does it matter?

Of course not, I want you to communicate more clearly if there’s a problem in a way that makes us know its a mod comment and not a poster comment, and not delete posts unless they contain something offensive.

I wasn’t communicating with you.

That last isn’t going to happen. Who decides what is offensive?

The moderators based on the posted forum rules about abuse and hateful posting.

So me in this case. Off topic trolling and bandwagon jumping are abusive.

Who was being abused?

Everybody not off topic trolling and bandwagon jumping, the forum and me.

1 Like

[quote=“SneakySFDude, post:4, topic:237642, full:true”]

Why are you arguing over little details? He just threw a number out there. Stop being nit-picky.

Because I disagree with his number. Attention to detail is a characteristic of a competent man.

Glad to see you join the discussion.