Why is Russia and China making more aggressive moves now that Biden is president than when Trump was in office?

As far as Russia, it is just a return to the bumbling and corrupt Obama-Biden years.

Putin took control of Crimea and parts of eastern Ukraine in 2014. This came after the 2012 debate when Obama said that Russia was not a threat; the cold war is over.

The military complex would love another endless-war profit center now that Afghanistan is gone. Ramping up the war in eastern Ukraine back to what it was during the Obama years is a prime candidate.

As far as China, they spent billions with Washington elites to assure compliance. Now they have succeeded in removing their common enemy, President Trump. Real opposition to China is highly unlikely.

1 Like

Obama was at fault for Crimea but not because of bumbling but because Maidan was bought and paid for. Alright that’s enough let’s go back to Russian propaganda of all this being a reason for Ukraine to invade Donbas.

Yes, the circumstances of the Euromaidan revolution are still not clear, but there is little doubt that the CIA and the successor to the KGB were both involved.

A fundamental problem in the US is that elected officials have little control over the intel agencies. They could instigate a war without the approval of the president or congress.

Are you saying that the situation with Russia/Ukraine is no different now than it has been in the past?

No. I am questioning your premise as to Russia acting based on who is president

No where in my OP do I make such a premise. On the contrary the premise of many on the Left was that Trump was in Putin’s pocket. If so it would have been logical for Putin to make any and all aggressive moves then.

So the title of your own thread which you wrote out doesn’t mean that Russia is acting different based on who is president? Or more aggressively?

What is the first word of the OP?

An implication. :grin:

The intent of the OP is a question and without a definitive answer in MY mind. There were indeed some premises, one being who is president matters in foreign policy and global issues or events. On the campaign and in the debates, when discussing other world leaders, like Putin, did not Joe Biden emphatically state “THEY KNOW ME”? As a voter I assumed that all would be on their best behavior once Biden was president. The other premise was as I previously noted.

Love letters. Don’t forget the love letters.

1 Like

I am not the amazing Kreskin so i am not going to question what’s in your mind.

But given you first making a point of Trump being in Putin’s pocket and then quoting a debate talking point suggests that a conclusion was already drawn and what you are looking for is a reinforcement of that conclusion

While foreign policy is obviously dependent on the political state of other countries, the idea that Russia may possibly invade Ukraine because Biden is president is silly at best. More importantly if Russia doesn’t invade that has nothing to do with Biden either. If Russia just takes Donbas it has nothing to do with Biden either

I never claimed Trump was in Putin’s pocket, that was the view of many on the Left. I simply asked a question based upon certain premises that who is president matters in actions of other countries. If those premises are wrong in this situation I wouldn’t debate that.

1 Like

Let me ask you this. If Putin was on the verge of a military takeover of the Ukraine while Trump was president, what do you think would be the headlines? Do you not think many would claim it is because Trump is in Putin’s pocket?

The headlines would be that trumps isolationism drove this.

Of course the pocket quotes would be all over the news.

If Russia is invading because Biden is a weak leader then Russia is invading because of Trumps isolationism policies.

1 Like

Here’s how it works:

• If Russia invades, Biden is weak (or somehow over aggressive). Fault: Biden

• If Russia does not, the whole imbroglio was a liberal plot to distract from Hillary (or something TBA) Fault: Biden

1 Like

There is a third one that was already gleefully brought up. If They don’t invade then Putin played Biden. Played him or why is irrelevant. Only neener neener is important

1 Like

You know, sometimes I suspect the rightwing posters here aren’t always on the level.

No they’re on the level.

And logically would have made more sense for him to do this when Trump was president?