Why doesn't anyone push for significantly more than the proposed $15/hour minimum wage?

The first bakery to buy the new fangled bread slicing machine in the late 1920s increased sales by 2000% in just two weeks. It was the greatest thing!

The employee’s net worth to the company is what should set the employee’s wage.
As it is now I have an excellent employee who is worth a lot to my company. He get’s short changed on wages because I have to pay a poor employee 15.00 an hour when they are probably only worth 5.00 an hour. I can never pay my excellent employee’s what they are worth because I have to pay some loser more than he is worth.
Your wrong about employers. All employers look at their employees as an asset to the company. Good employee’s are as important as good equipment. But company’s have to make a profit or the employee’s will no longer have a job to go to.

Yes, clearly, when employers such as yourself are bitching about having to pay “losers” the bare ass minimum the law requires. One would wonder why said employer would keep said “loser” on their payroll. :roll_eyes:

Because it takes people to perform a job.
If I could find 3 excellent employees and they could perform the job that would be great.
But because the labor pool is filled with few excellent employee’s you are left with having to work with what you are given. Which means the excellent employee’s are not getting paid what they are worth because poor employee’s are paid more than they are worth.
So instead of hiring 3 excellent employee’s to do the job. I am left with having to hire 2 excellent employees and 5 poor employee’s to get the job done.
People are only worth what they bring into the company.
Plus I no where said they are getting the minimum. You made that up. Everyone I hire get’s paid more than the state minimum wage. Which is more than the federal minimum wage.

The problem is with those who choose to remain at that level. Many in poverty are those just starting out in life. I have first hand experience, as do a great many others in this forum. My wife and I started out with nothing, have since moved through the various income levels and are now comfortably retired.

It is all about ones life choices. Those choices have consequences. I’m dead set against propping up those that make bad choices. There are a great many private and government funded programs available for those who choose to avail themselves.

And to those who point to those who are unable to fend for themselves, I’m all for social safety nets. But not for those who simply choose to remain in poverty.

2 Likes

Or maybe you can’t get anyone else to fill the position with as little as you’re paying. Nah, that couldn’t possibly be the reason. Nor the reason why you would keep employing a “loser”. Must be the “loser’s” fault. Makes perfect sense.

Yes they do. A lot of info out there.

Interesting.

Still not close to a living wage for a family of four.

It was in response to the productivity chart, which is not an absolute indicator. For example, the person building cars today is much more productive than that same person 50 years ago and are they not making $25/hr or more? Can we say the same thing about a person cleaning toilets today compared to that same person 50 years ago?

According to Jay-Jay in post 73 - the average. Minimum is $10 an hour.

Assuming he’s correct, that’s not a whole helluva a lot more than our current minimum wage.

He only referenced Germany.

If you really wanted to know., you would take the few minutes it takes to find out.

Plenty of links:

https://www.google.com/search?q=average+wage+fast+food+europe&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS850US850&oq=average+wage+fast+food+europe&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160.12378j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Who’s going to hire some loser with no skills and no work experience for top pay?
Sitting on your mommy’s couch playing video games and smoking weeds does not amount to a lot when your 25 years old and never worked a day in your life and now mommy has kicked you out and you need a job.
You need to learn a lot about just who your talking to.
I give young men who have just gotten out of prison a chance to make better lives for themselves. For every 10 young men I hire there is usually one or two out of the bunch who really wants to clean up their lives.
Makes perfect sense for someone who has no idea how to run a business to not know how things work.

The average income in America is 31K.

You can get a career in any skilled trade with zero experience and simple High school or GED.
only requirement is passing a math test.

The Janitors at my work all have red seals in skilled labor trades like pipe-fitters, boilermakers, etc.

Not at top pay you can’t. No one in construction is going to hire someone with no skills and no job experience for top pay.

well of course they don’t have a Red Seal,
but starting wage for construction are quite good more so in industrial.
most skill trade union will throw money at you to join at this point there is a shortage.

my point is there are a lot of good paying jobs for people with no experience.
the issue facing a lot of people is lack of mobility they are stuck for one reason or another in an area.

“Who’s going to hire some loser with no skills and no work experience for top pay?”

You apparently, since you already said you’re hiring these “losers” for above minimum wage. My question was why keep them on your payroll? You haven’t answered that one yet. Gee, I wonder why?

Yes, but you see when other employers are willing to pay more, some employers can only work with what they have, since most people want to work for the employer who pays better. Beggars can’t be choosers and all that. Who knew it worked both ways?