Why doesn't anyone push for significantly more than the proposed $15/hour minimum wage?

Revolving door eh? First I’ve ever heard of that statement. :man_shrugging:

It’s the truth. You are free to research it.

Conversely, “at will” employment states, there absolutely needs to be one. Some employers wouldn’t bother paying people at all, if they thought they could get away with it.

Typically the debate is about supporting a family, which will be significantly higher.

Just as some employers hire people that are not eligible to work here, as they can pay them less.

1 Like

The way you word it, makes it sound like poverty is not a big deal at all in this country. :thinking:

Why not? If they whine about it, they can just threaten to report them. Not like they know their employer would get in trouble too.

It is for the people who fall into it. Terrible and traumatic, been there to where I didn’t know where our next meal would come from, and skipped meals, lived on one meal a day for a short time. It was ■■■■■■■ horrible and I still hoard (to some extent) non perishables to this day.

Well now you’re just preaching to the choir. lol

1 Like

Well, I won’t say I’m glad you’ve been there, but I’m glad you know exactly what I’m talking about.

Correct. Here is the current living wage calculation for NYC and surrounding areas for multiple different living situations.

https://livingwage.mit.edu/metros/35620

EDIT:

For apples to apples comparison, the 2012 $15/hr came from Dutchess County, NY. I don’t know why. Maybe because it’s a middle ground between Albany and NYC.

Here’s the current living wage calculation for Dutchess County.

https://livingwage.mit.edu/counties/36027

I’m glad I was there. Credit to bootstraps where credit is due. :wink:

I get that, so am I in retrospect. I’m just not (usually) mean enough to say I’m glad you suffered. :+1:

It’s not mean to say that. Without suffering, one would ever know joy.

2 Likes

This is decidedly untrue. One does not need to have experienced sadness to know when one is joyful.

Do too. Without it, there is no reference, and everything is relative.

Can’t argue with that.

And boy do I know joy LOL.

1 Like

Even if you believe that…sure there’s a reference.

Emotion is not binary.

I hate how I always get you and @JayJay confused. lol

He’s more erudite. :slight_smile: