Why doesn't anyone push for significantly more than the proposed $15/hour minimum wage?

If some people had their way, there’d still be children workin in the mines.

“I think I got the black lung, pop.”

They are. No vaccinations under 16.

I’ll just say, I’ve never supported a federal minimum wage. Just not good logic from my point of view as it doesn’t account for differences in cost of living in different parts of the country and even within States.

State legislatures are much better suited to establishing minimum wage based on conditions within their state. On top of that local officials should then be free to establish a higher minimum wage for their locality.
JMHO
.WW

6 Likes

I would list it as both an earning and spending problem. One of the things I’ve noticed in life is that when you earn a dollar, you also receive a diploma on the best way to spend it. Those that didn’t earn money, are all to often soon parted from it. Those that win big lotteries and are broke soon after are good examples.

2 Likes

Our money is worthless trash.

Seems like they’ve been doing just that for years now, too.

But, with a higher national minimum wage, the federal government gets to collect more taxes on the lowest earners. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I just don’t see the value in a general across the country change.

#1 Raise min wage.

#2 That results in “ripple changes” up the earnings tree. Say you have an EE making $10 an hour and another with 3 years experience making $14 an hour. Raise them both to $15? No, they are going to expect to go to $15 and $19 respectively.

#3 Cost of business goes up. Prices go up.

#4 Impact of the minimum wage goes down because the effects of minimum wage are eaten up with more taxes and a higher cost of goods, services, rent, etc., etc.
.WW

1 Like

Only FICA taxes, they don’t pay income taxes.

Employee: Started off at 12/hr. Worked his ass off for 2-3 years, now making 15.10/hr.

Minimum wage gets raised to 15/hr. Employee of 2-3 years now makes 0.10 per hour more than minimum wage.

Employee of 2 whole weeks who started off at 12/hr now gets 15/hr, and hasn’t even completed his training yet.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

A tax on the poor.

1 Like

A small one, yes.

Nice. lol

Am I wrong?

Absolutely wrong, but not intentionally, which is the key to things like this.

Uh huh. Maybe you could enlighten me?

Oh come now, you’ll never allow that. lol

What else are they going to be spending exponentially more on other than federal taxes?

I’m one of the more open minded people on this board. :slight_smile:

The total spending is not what people consider, it’s how much comes out of their pocket. FICA taxes are less than income taxes for most people.

FICA taxes, rent, utilities, services, food, fuel, medicine etc…

You know, all the important things that will keep them just as poor, while putting more money in political coffers.

This isn’t a solution to our money problem.

Poverty is a revolving door and most people don’t stay there for more than a couple of years, often less, suggesting that the helping hand theory is actually working.

The problem with this argument, is many states will not act when needed. Today many states have done what you suggested. Sadly many have not.

Fun fact, countries that have strong unions, do not have a need for a min. wage.

1 Like