Why does the U.S get stuck with ALL of the blame for slavery?

Ken Burns doesn’t help your case.

Honest answer?

Because we are pretty much the only hyphenated race country. I’ve never heard of an African-Scottish, or a Portuguese-Brazilian before.

I doubt you are blaming such things on hyphens alone. Please explain further.

What gave you the idea America is solely held accountable?

We are the only country I can think of that has “black culture”. By that I mean where it’s different than the rest of the countries culture.

In England there is no black English culture. They are just English. For whatever reason they stayed separated here and never fully integrated. In some ways they were prevented from it, but there were many countries where integration happened.

I believe lots of different groups are responsible for this separation. Segregation played a part, and MLK fought to end that. But after his assassination the race baiters that followed used the anger to push the black communities into perpetual victimhood, rather than push for full on integration.

I have no idea why you think that is the case.

Fascinating.

Pretty much much of the rest of the world did away with the practice of slavery quite some time before the US and did so without involving a civil war partly premised on maintaining slavery.

They are segregated across Europe as well. They are self segregating all across western Europe. Don’t take my word for it look at the Guardian a far left fruit cake news agency in Britain.

((A report was released this week by the academic Ted Cantle warning of the dwindling number of white residents in the ethnic minority dominated areas of the inner city. Between the 2001 and 2011 census, the white British population of Birmingham fell from 65.6% to 53.1; in Leicester it declined from 60.5% to 45.1%; and in Newham in London, only 16.7% of the population is white British. This is a follow-on that argued that one of the causes of the riots in Bradford and Oldham that year was that people [lived “a series of parallel” lives… Unfortunately this narrative spawned the policy agenda of “community cohesion” in order to bring the nation together that has done more harm than good in addressing the problems of racism and belonging.))

In 2011 only 45% of London identified as White British. What do you think happened to them? White flight, it’s not all cup cakes and jelly beans in race relations in Europe, which should be evident by the recent rise of right wing populism winning elections across Europe and Brexit.

UK is divided more then America on Ethnic ground between Welsh, Scottish, Irish, English.

Apartheid was not about slavery. Apartheid was more like Jim Crow on steroids.

Good point, CJ. Most Americans don’t know that.

That was because of Colonialism, not slavery. The same holds true of the Dutch in Indonesia … they were very harsh occupiers.

That’s because the Dutch did not take their slaves home to pick tulips, they took them to the Americas to be sold or traded for goods.

Not really. Most countries did away with slavery within a generation of the abolition in the US. And some of those countries, like Britain for example, only outlawed it at home, and maintained it for many more years in their colonies.

Interesting. I might have to rethink some of my hypothesis. I’ve been to Europe and England several times, though not in quite a while.

On my visits there I never noticed any difference between the black persons there and the whites besides skin color, visually both races appeared the same. Maybe that was just superficial harmony a visitor didn’t see beneath.

Are africans in the uk decdents of slaves?

Why do the New York Yankees get the most hate? Because they’re the number one team in baseball. Pretty much the same thing applies to America. If China ever overtakes us, they will get the majority of foreign criticism.

Part of the reason the U.S. get so much criticism for slavery is what was done after slavery. The policies put in place that ended reconstruction and wiped out all progress made by African Americans up to that point and stunted significant progress all the way up to 1964.

There were thriving black communities, African Americans in political offices, thriving black own business, black owned banks…basically folks trying to live the American dream that had been a nightmare since 1776. Unfortunately there were a lot of folks, and honestly party didn’t matter because both sides went along with it and really didn’t get a conscience until 60+ years later. Plessy vs. Furgerson changed everything. Jim Crow was as close to slavery without it actually being called slavery. American apartheid.

It doesn’t get all the blame for slavery. It gets all the blame for US slavery.

Next.

2 Likes