Why does the U.S get stuck with ALL of the blame for slavery?

Yes in both cases.

The Dutch are not very popular in Africa.

First question: nobody I know. If foreigners hate us, they do so for other reasons. The top two reasons are Bush and Trump.

Second question: no idea. When I visited the Netherlands, I wasn’t there to talk about the American slave trade.

The only time slavery ever came up for me abroad was in Peace Corps Uzbekistan, when some children wanted to know if slavery still existed here. Then again, they also wanted to know if I knew Michael Jackson.

I can without a doubt say that I have never blamed the US for slavery in Portugal.

1 Like

Jeez Judo. Are you that rude? Leveling totally unprovoked insults like that? Be careful buddy. Are you trying to ruin our friendship or just bore me to death?
BTW. I find the more threatened people feel the angrier they get. No need for all of that hostility. I’m pretty harmless. Try a yoga class?

There is no scotch needed, not that I would drink that nasty crap anyway. I’m not wound up at all. Perhaps it is you that needs an adult beverage to help you expand your logical thinking, because quite honestly a sober sane person couldn’t possibly have posted the OP that you did.

The English are not very popular in South Africa.
The Dutch are not very popular in Africa

the decedent of slaves tend not to have a very positive view of their former masters.

1 Like

Not personally.

Probably.

When you visited the Netherlands there was no talk of the Dutch slave trade either. The Dutch have moved on. They don’t blame themselves for the acts of people who have been dead for 150 years. Americans wallow in it for some insane reason. Maybe we should follow the Dutch example?

1 Like

You buying?

Because Jim Crow exist less then 50 years ago.

If your premise was true (it’s not), Maybe because we’re just about the only country that fought a war with itself to keep it.

Not scotch, but i’ll be happy to have the waitress bring you a bottom shelf vokda call.

All nations are responsible for their respective histories when it comes to slavery. I would say America is not well served by the fact traitors who murdered Americans in order to maintain their “right” to own black people are still propped up as heroic figures to this day.

3 Likes

I believe you.

For what reason?

Have you ever watched the Ken Burns documentary “The Civil War?” It’s on Netflix. If you haven’t seen it, give it a try. I you haven’t seen it lately, give it a try. In my opinion it is the most captivating documentary ever made. Very eye opening. And the music is incredible.

oh snap…

1 Like

While you’re not wrong, and in fact Ken Burns Civil War is by far my favorite documentary of all time, it’s hard not to notice it falls badly for the Lost Cause narrative and equivocates both sides too much.

Same problem with Shelby Footes “The Civil War: A Narrative” which the documentary is based on. Fantastic read. One of the best historical books you’ll ever read. Very slanted nonetheless.

1 Like

American guilt lol