Why does the U.S get stuck with ALL of the blame for slavery?

Because you have only ever had conservations about slavery in America.

most of my basic education on slavery had to do with the British because that is the only concept of slavery that has to do with Canadian history.

They do not. History records the events. And they make for good movies. But nobody is wallowing in the war crimes of Japan or Germany. And Europe does not wallow in their creation of New World slavery. They have all moved on. We refuse to move on. Many American liberals completely ignore the fact that slavery was a European institution brought to this continent. Europe no longer carries any guilt over slavery. Europe has move beyond their role in slavery. Shouldn’t we do the same?

You don’t think German children are taught about the horror of Nazi Germany, You don’t think they take tours of the camps?

no one is asking you to carry guilt for anything, I really don’t care if you feel guilty or not for Slavery, but Slavery was a part of American history and an important part so teach it.

teach your children about it.
show them photos take them on tours of plantations
ingrave it in their mind so they never make the same mistake.

So that’s a no. You have no ■■■■■■■ idea what the rest of the world thinks of American slavery.

But, if

But if I am not mistaken they don’t seem to be endlessly promoting any national guilt from their slave history. They seem to have moved on. As they should. Here in the U.S. we promote endless guilt. No other countries seem to share the same obsession with guilt. We can’t let it go. Do you think that any European politician would ever tell minorities that the opposition want’s to “put y’all back in chains?” As Joe Biden did? Europe has gotten over their guilt trip. Good for them. They are better for it. Shouldn’t we do the same?

They also don’t have a major population that are the decedent of slaves.

What do they think of their own slave history? I would bet that outside of history class, it rarely comes up. And I would be correct. Would I not? Do they wallow in it like we do? Are they on a never ending guilt trip as we are? Do they use it as a weapon against political opponents? So why do we? Why do we insist on living a never ending slave guilt trip when the rest of the world has gotten over it? Why?

They are responsible for every single slave in North America. If Europeans did not bring them here, there would have been no slavery in the New World.

Let’s cut to the chase shall we? Is it your opinion that the U.S. should not go the way of our European counterparts and give up our guilt trip? Move beyond the sins of long dead people? That it is a good idea to continue to use slavery as a political weapon 155 years later?

You’re overstating our talking about our slave history in an attempt to whitewash it and in an attempt to play the perennial victim. Persoanlly most of my family is from Sparte’ and back in the day, “we” owned slaves (Helots) While it was much longer ago than American slavery, I’m aware of it.

As for Europe, I lived in Germany for 7 years and they’re much more concerned about their role in WW2 than about slavery. Much more recent and far reaching. Of course they’ve taken ownership of it rather than celebrate Confederate traitors like you lot have.

Finally, what in your life is so terrible that you have to be a constant victim?

Visited Japan back in ‘06, and there was only one time where we had any issues being American. We were at a bar right off the Shinkansen, which happened to be a margaritaville style knockoff and there was this one guy who had a huge problem with us being there. We just brushed it off because the girls he was there with were enamored with talking to Americans. We spent time in both Shibuya and Shinjuku as well as Osaka, Nikko, Himedji, Kyoto and Koyosan and we had no issues whatsoever. I think the biggest thing we noticed was as you veered away from the more touristy areas, very few locals spoke any English at all.

When I was in school, of course we were taught about slavery. We were taught that it was horrible and can never be repeated. But we were not taught to feel guilty for it. After all, why should we? We did nothing wrong. I think the obsession with trying to lay a guilt trip on kids now days is unhealthy. Promotes unnecessary conflict. So you admit that Europe does not lay their long dead history of slaving at the feat of people who were not alive when it happened? Europe has moved on and you keep dodging the question.
If Europe has moved on, then why shouldn’t we?

Define “we” I don’t feel guilty about slavery but I acknowledge the roots of slavery, Jim Crow and segregation, lingered far after slavery ended. Its a fact blacks were essentially subjugated far after slavery ended. While you, as a white man, are more than ready to move on; I’m more than sympathetic with those whose ancestors were owned and subjugated aren’t ready to move on. And as a white man, you have no right to demand that from them.

when are the Scottish going to get over the conquest…

I know right? They are soooo guilt ridden that they have forced themselves to wear skirts for atonement.

it would be easier if there wasn’t 37 million African American living in the U.S.

So I am in favor of moving on and you are in favor of wallowing in guilt for a little longer? Does that pretty much sum it up?

How about this? Freedom of choice. liberals can carry that guilt with them for the next 500 years if it makes them happy. As long as you don’t bother us guilt free conservatives about it. Fair enough?

1 Like

As white men, we don’t get a vote.

I work in big pharma. I have many well paid, educated African American friends and co-workers who show no sign of having the slightest bit of interest in slavery. They don’t really need an excuse for anything. They get a fat pay check, take nice vacations, send their kids to non violent highly effective schools in the burbs and own upper middle class houses. Why would they waste one second feeling bitter about something that did not happen to them? They are living the American dream.

On the other hand, we have a contingent of West African immigrant contractors. They don’t worry about it either. They just think they have died and gone to heaven.

1 Like