White Evangelical Protestants are one of Trump’s most loyal constituencies

They will never realize they are being used and have been for years.

Rinse and repeat.

There are some people in this world that just want to be used.

Was trump brought to us by God?..this was an actual thread title here.

1 Like

I can certainly understand why Trump supporters want any connection with god or religion deleted. To sell your soul is one thing. To be constantly reminded of it is another.

7 Likes

I personally would like to thank all of the Christians who voted for Donald Trump. Your reward will be in Heaven.

I remember that. That title literally made me nauseous as a Christian.

What would Jesus say about bearing false witness?

About adulterous men?

About greed?

About spreading hate?

He spoke pretty clearly about those things.

You guys should read the link in the OP. It has fascinating data. Here’s one thing that really interests me…

“The biggest gap between pro-Trump evangelicals and other evangelicals, when they were pressed to name the most important voting issue, was on immigration. That issue was more important to Trump supporters in the BGC survey, and it’s a big winner for Trump among WEPs in other polls. “White evangelicals overwhelmingly back more hardline positions on immigration, with three-fourths wanting a reduction in legal immigration,” Stetzer reports.”

He would say “ come to me”.

American Evangelical Christianity is largely Conservianity. Politics guide religion as opposed to the other way around.

That said, there is a contingent of Evangelicals who weigh what Trump does in his governmental life against what he did in his private life and find the good in his policies to outweigh the bad of his morality. You’ll have to keep in mind that the debate over some of his policies re: immigration is ongoing. It begs the question to simply declare his immigration policy to be “unChristian”. That has to be argued.

All that said, I am a never Trumper :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m bracing for an evangelical revival, in a political sense. The mid to late 2000s backlash against creationism and religiously influenced legislation has dwindled.

I know the minister at my former church was a devoted Trumplican, to the point I would have had to quit attending had I not moved out of state. Sadly he has gotten much worse since I left according to a family member back there who has finally quit attending because of his preaching Trumpism from the pulpit.

So sad.

I love my former minister dearly, I know he is normally a wonderful person, but this turn of his to Trumpism is just so heartbreaking to see and hear about.

Good post. I don’t expect Evangelicals to avoid letting their religious convictions influence their politics. Like any other faith, however, where I balk is any attempt to use secular government to enforce one’s religious beliefs on nonbelievers.

As a Christian, raised Baptist and fully believing of the word of God…

I no longer call myself Evangelical- and would in fact strongly deny being so. My beliefs did not change - the Evangelical movement did. It is no longer religious - it is Political- it is also heretical and not Christian.

4 Likes

If they can continue to successfully push the “we’re so persecuted” narrative it has the potential for revival. I can even see them using Trump as a part of that narrative (i.e., “We reached rock bottom and God used Donald as a sinful nonbeliever to destroy an anti-Christian system, now we have a clean slate to appoint godly men to lead us as a restored Christian nation.”)

How is that any different than Liberalanity?

Great thread, I like to read it with “state” where Jesus is in these posts. Government works too.

I’m not buying this argument…not even for a second. You could abandon Trump completely and his job would be taken by someone more conservative and more than willing to appoint hardline anti-abortion justices.

No Trump voters continue to support Trump because they like his brash, aggressive, trolling ways and will willingly hand wave away his lies, frauds, deceptions and outright crimes. And in doing so WEPs have sold their collective soul. You will no longer be taken remotely seriously on anything to do with moral values.

2 Likes

Evangelicals have a long-standing persecution fetish woven into their spirituality. I am speculating that that will continue long after Donald has left the White House. Should be a rather seamless transition, and they will use the “we had to support a monster to destroy the monsters’ den” defense as a part of that transitional narrative.

At present, what’s primarily different about Evangelical victimization vs liberal is that this thread is about the former.

1 Like

As do liberals.

So no comparing?