White Evangelical Protestants are one of Trump’s most loyal constituencies

Is there a need to?

Yes, but it’s ok. I found a direct counter-point to this tripe.

Churchgoing Trump voters have more favorable feelings toward African-Americans, Hispanics, Asians, Jews, Muslims and immigrants compared with nonreligious Trump voters. This holds up even while accounting for demographic factors like education and race.

I’ll assume the source is acceptable.

I find this discussion of morals-politics-religion fascinating. I will offer this: Liberalism has been elevated to the level of a religion (or cult) by its adherents. The state is the diety. The fervor impressive.

My opinion of course.

1 Like

Is it not possible to support policies without supporting the person?

The problem with cult is the classic definition requires a charismatic leader and worship of same. More research required.

Hmmm.

10thecultofPatriot

Not buying it. Cult, maybe. But a codified, instirutionalized belief structure on par with Christianity? Nah.

Clearly some Evangelicals are trying.

Oh I absolutely disagree. Codified? Oh yeah. We can start with the party platform as a general dogma and go from there.

Is it not possible?

Sometimes. In this case no- because A). The offenses are so egregious and B) you have the option of replacing him with Pence- someone notably more conservative than Trump.

Thank you for using “bets the question “ correctly.

I agree the offenses are egregious as far as the person.

How do I have that option?

Tell me, what positions do Trump hold that evangelicals largely agree with that other candidates did not hold?

I don’t know. I do know who the current POTUS is. Maybe I don’t understand your question.

In the case of Donald? No.

Maybe I do. Are you under the impression that any other candidate could have beaten Clinton?

Why not? Think about what you’re saying.

The first step would be to publicly denounce the man and his various lies, insults, degradations and crimes. Sadly this is something Trumpians are loathe to do…for fear of being labeled a Never Trumper.

Maybe. But then again, I’m under the impression that all of the other candidates could have beaten Clinton. :slight_smile:

Evangelicals could have easily supported a candidate that was not as abhorrent during the primaries. Take South Carolina for example - Trump decidedly gained their support. Same with Tennessee. Evangelicals care more about political power than bringing about the gospel message.

1 Like