When It Is All Better

It has everything to do with illegal aliens receiving free healthcare at the expense of taxpayers…period.

2 Likes

Thoreau? :thinking:

Well, yes we could, with current technology we could set up space solar farms and beam down the energy.

I’ll bet you a buck that we see asteroid mining in our lifetimes.

1 Like

Companies are starting to gear up for zero g manufacturing, thanks to Musk dropping payload costs.

1 Like

i don’t think so. Finding asteroids is an incredibly hard thing to do.

That we can in the future is one thing, but right now, the earth’s environemtn is closed.

What are these then?

Scroll down to animation.

Um…what? We know where millions, if not billions of asteroids are, right now.

The bigger problem is determining which should be mined.

1 Like

Actually, it’s not. Asteroids are all over the place in the asteroid belt.

Finding asteroids that have the metals we need is a little more difficult and is the hold up.

But given some time, you’re gonna see some crazy changes in how the world values metals. Imagine a world where titanium is cheaper than steel.

Fair, given that the only resources we have mined so far is moon rocks😏

We could right now. If my farm is a thousand acres but I am only farming ten right now, are my ten acres a closed system?

My post was based on the fact the a few asteroids passed close to earth undetected recently.

You don’t need to know where every single one is to mine the ones you do know the location of.

Here’s a good skeptical argument as to why it won’t happen in the near future…it has little to do with our technological capabilities and everything to do with economics.

The same drivers behind why how even though we are drilling more oil than ever, the price never goes below a certain threshold.

But the biggest reason? Earth is the largest rocky planet in the solar system.

That means the lion’s share of the metals and minerals we want are already right down here.

I suppose I should put the actual article in the post.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-12-21/space-mining-on-asteroids-is-never-going-to-happen

There will be a moon base, large space stations, including tourism and manufacturing in space over the next decade. All of that is currently in the works.

Most don’t realize we have the space radiation problem solved as well now.

Not one prog has been able to share the vision. Tsk, tsk.

1 Like

I think this is a semantic augment.

The asteroids are currently outside of our atmosphere, so physically they are not part of our system. We currently have no way to bring things physically outside of our atmosphere into our system. Therefore, currently, the system that encompasses our environment is closed.

That condition can change as technology advances, but presently, it is closed.

You are changing the definition of our ‘system’ to include things outside of our atmosphere. Which is fine, but not what I took to be under discussion.

Long/short - we currently can’t mine asteroids. Things outside of our atmosphere are currently inaccessible to us in any meaningful way. That could change.

This is not The Space Force thread nor forum. Get back on topic please.