What's Your Vision for the Country?

So a vision without any planing. Cool.

Correct. Not a “vision.” But a “vision.”

Vision this…our economy is totally destroyed, middle class all but disappeared, dependent on foreign countries for our will being etc.

Sorry…don’t share that vision.

Be nice please.

I am nice…posting my vision of consequences.

Its good to have a vision but more important it needs to practically and realistic.

How will that vision become reality in 25 years?

We keep on nominating lawyers to SCOTUS.

We need to nominate laypeople to judgeships if you want that to happen.

Allan

Your support of single payer and this statement make me curious to know of your opinion on regulating bad health behavior in the form of increased pay ins or decreased pay outs, if your idea of single payer had these at all. Would the average premium for healthy people be the same as those who make poor choices in health?

It could be done in 25 days. A law.

You think a lawyer is incapable of writing in plain English?

And a time limit on it.

Got it. It’s less than a vision in the sense that Sneaky initiated. It’s more of a comment on the human condition . . . on the trajectory of human culture. Forgive me, it was part of the kind of thinking I did for many years as an anthropologist and archaeologist. I can get sidetracked. Sorry Sneaky, if I was wandering.

Incentivize good behavior. Tax cuts for this or that. Not punishment.

Well since we are beyond broke as a country with incoming negative interest rates and zero social cohesion split on every issue I would like to see the U.S. dissolved and divided into several regions allowing everyone a one time chance to move. Sharing a common language and proximity we would have good relations overall think Canada/U.S.

We would not share a common currency however like the E.U. does but have visa free travel similar to the E.U. Schengen Agreement.

Interesting. Thanks.

1 Like

Term limits for everyone

3 Likes

We all want clean energy, but we have to be practically about it. We need jobs, manufacturing base so we don’t rely of foreign powers for goods. We just witness that shortfall recently with CV.

We should never have been in that position in first place.

Food? We need food. Can’t rely on foreign powers for that either.

Clean energy maybe a goal…but when you drive up energy cost then it become impractical.

A federal judge? You and I will disagree on this.

It’s an impossible dream.

Allan

One man’s tax cut is another man’s tax hike, the unhealthy person ends up paying more and could feel like they are being punished when you say they should be incentivized to earn the cut. It would be a difficult task to ask the government to determine who is healthy enough to deserve the cut too.

I like your sentiment and feel this topic could use it’s own thread, so I’ll leave it at: I agree, gimme tax cuts and pay my hospital bill please

This I agree with.

Other more powerful interests are making out like bandits while we fight over metaphorical table scraps.

4 Likes

You misunderstand me. I’m have no clue about what we or anybody else can do. I’m saying what I think will ultimately happen. To be clear, it’s a little off topic. I come from this as a student of human cultural evolution. There has never been a major transition in the history of mankind that were the conscious motivations of the participants in those transititions.

1. A healthcare system that won’t destroy people financially if they have a catastrophic illness and lose their job and with it health insurance… The biggest problem is middle class folks with assets have to lose many of these assets before they qualify for help with bills.

Single payer, subsidies, a combination of public and private, I don’t care.

2. State Universities should offer residents free tuition as long as they are pursuing a degree and have a C average or better. The VA has similar rules for tuition assistance. They used to, anyway.

3. Government spending needs to be addressed as soon as possible. Emergencies like the pandemic and the recession and wars are one thing, but after these are sorted out we can start with a 2% cut across the board, with managers deciding where the cuts are coming from. After that all increases in spending must be accompanied with a plan to pay for it. Entitlements, welfare and military are all included.

4. Bills in congress should contain one item only. No sneaky additions.

5. Redistrict congressional districts with bipartisan commissions making the decisions.

6. REFORM, not defund the police. We need police, but perhaps training could be examined AND I think they should receive the highest pay possible to attract the best people and lesson the temptation for corruption.

7. Taxes. I’m not against a sliding scale but it has to be reasonable, say 30% max. Do away with most or all loopholes so taxes are simple, especially for wage earners. I believe that one reason taxes are so complicated is that scumbag politicians can raise them easier and manipulate them for their buddies.

8. Political contributions to candidates should be strictly limited. Perhaps $1000 per person, corporation, PAC or any other entity.

Well there is a difference between human evolution and human nature. Human nature will always find weak spots to take advantage. Now not saying some would push they foresight on evolution, ones with certain vision etc. The ratio IMO is about to 10 to 1 that human nature will take it’s course.

Just like water will always seek weakest spots to flow. Same with governments unless it’s authoritarian. And that’s a society that’s best left in the closet.