What should be the new normal?

No but you do answer to the forum. Obscure 70 year old news.

Allan

Role model?

And that is not proven.

What gives people the impression that Trump represents anything but a continuation from the normal weā€™ve had for some time?

People have zero influence in what goes on in government or in trends that affect their economic and social well-being. This is borne out in stat after stat that show popular support for how things ought to be has zero correlation to what actually is.

Instead of tackling the extremely difficult and intractable questions as to why, or instead of trying the even more difficult activity of guessing where the trends are going and try to adapt to them, people look for popular figures to comfort them that everything is going to be OK.

This has been the normal for quite some time, and will continue to be so for the forseeable future.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t bring him up.

I answer to ā€œthe forumā€? You mean the collective? :rofl:

Great post. I would say Trump represents an escalation.

You donā€™t know that.

Never had his lawyer pay hush money and then repaid the lawyer with a nice signed check.

Allan

You donā€™t know that either.

Itā€™s an escalation because things had gotten bad enough for certain groups of people that they had to ā€œexpress themselvesā€.

The election of certain ultra-liberal people in the 2018 election is likely a backlash to the Trump escalation.

Unfortunately neither is a particularly effective action, but itā€™s what we have.

Funnily enough, it has had the bizarre effect, as someone else pointed out, of exposing corruption and manipulation without actually stopping it nor showing any sign of doing so in the near futureā€¦indeed it has simply emboldened those who are corrupt and manipulators to double down.

Because as far as I can tell, the object seems to be how we can keep constituents perpetually angry without them literally blowing upā€¦while actually not only not fixing anything, but being brazen in pretty much admitting thereā€™s no intention to fix anything.

The goal seems to be to keep the masses paralyzed with fear and anger.

1 Like

we know that no evidence has come out for Eisenhower paying hush money unlike lets say our current president. :slight_smile:

Allan

I think that is an outstanding summation of the political strategy. It is not unique to now or here.

Noā€¦I would submit itā€™s easier to do now more than ever.

Amazingly, free access to more information than ever was available before via the Internet has had the effect of making most people less informed, not more informed.

When you had to earn knowledgeā€¦you valued it more.

So what?

it was about Eisenhower being an excellent role model.

Allan

Probably right. The Arabs have been doing it for decades. They are masters at it.

He probably cheated on his wife while his men were fighting. Even if he didnā€™t, he allowed the perception.

Not a role model for young males or anybody who wants to be a leader.

Looks to be working, too.

No. You are too.

No, Iā€™m not.

You are talking about a flaw, in hindsight, and not the position or how they were actually regarded.

In your bizarre word, who other than your parents are ā€œrole modelsā€.