What does civilian oversight mean?

Some Conservatives have supported that for quite some time. They are called neocons.

A general pulling this stunt is not it. It’s not a coup, it’s not the end of democracy. It’s still wrong and trying to rationalize it is not good either

If someone pulled this under Obama because he was horrid at foreign policy or under Biden because of the mess in Afghanistan nobody should be defending it either. It’s wrong. Full stop.

And i have some pretty serious TDS at times.

I agree. What is it?

Insubordination.

Explain how please.

He could have inadvertently started a war telling China that they would have probably been on maximum alert and some mistake or perhaps a jet flying to close could have triggered a response.

This isn’t cool regardless of party affiliation. Biden’s a mental mess but I sure don’t think the answer to that is to have a general sending warnings to our advisories this is 100 times worse than what Flynn did.

1 Like

Commander in chief no matter what you think of him is the one who gets to make that decision. What to say to whom etc

Is overstepping boundaries synonymous with insubordination? I think so. And this fits the bill

Article 90?

I don’t know about how usmj is applied tbh.

I wouldn’t disagree with a court martial

PS i most def looked that up.

I see a couple of issues with trying to apply Article 90.

Well then you get a stupid question - is commander in chief considered a superior “officer”

Superior obviously. Wondering about officer.

Second stupid question - he didn’t disobey an order. He overstepped his duty? Power? Acted outside the chain of command? Is article 90 applicable

They probably thought he was insane and a satan worshipper, assuming they get their knowledge of what goes on in the US from the large US media giants, like NYTs and WashPO.

1 Like

Standing US doctrine for decades, sorry.

If you read the article, the word “commissioned” also appears.

Did Trump or anybody else actually give him an order not to contact the Chicoms?

they didn’t call.

Only treason if we were at a declared war with China.

Still really bad though.

Ever notice how China got away with unleashing a global pandemic with almost no bad PR , let alone actual monetary repercussions. Then Milley kisses their posterior?? He needs relieved of duty ASAP.

again, who are “you guys”? you seem very confused

This DOES pass the smell test.

Milley acting at the behest of Pelosi…

If you believe the latest Bob Woodward book, the United States has lost civilian control of its military — unless you count Nancy Pelosi who seems to have been in control of everything since she became speaker in 2019 with the single-minded goal of bringing down Donald Trump.

Everything has gone downhill since, and most dangerously at the Pentagon where a cohort of woke generals fell under Pelosi’s malign spell.

That’s the only way you can ­understand how Gen. Mark Milley could have become so deranged that he cast himself as the hero of a “Seven Days in May”-style fever dream in which only he could save the nation from Trump launching nuclear war with China to stay in office.

[quote=“Camp, post:213, topic:240160”]
Ever notice how China got away with unleashing a global pandemic with almost no bad PR.

Oh yeah, I notice! It’s astounding because the whole world suffered from and still is suffering from it. I want to know where the hell is the The World Court when you need them? You know the ones who convicted GWB and Cheney for war crimes but are silent on the bio warfare of covid19 unleashed around the world by the CCP.

2 Likes

Not necessarily.

If the US had excellent, and I do mean EXCELLENT, intelligence (confirmed through dozens of sources both in and outside of the PRC) that the PLA were preparing to launch a first strike on CONUS then a preemptive strike could be justified. It’s crossed the minds of thinkers ever since MAD came into being.

That is highly unlikely though. No one wants to accidentally start a nuclear war. Assuming tensions are extremely high, the US would adopt a launch on warning stance with ICBMs. Basically the second PRC missiles leave their silos US forces would retaliate with our own ICBMs to get them off the ground to hit whatever the PRC has left in reserve.