What does civilian oversight mean?

I don’t know about how usmj is applied tbh.

I wouldn’t disagree with a court martial

PS i most def looked that up.

I see a couple of issues with trying to apply Article 90.

Well then you get a stupid question - is commander in chief considered a superior “officer”

Superior obviously. Wondering about officer.

Second stupid question - he didn’t disobey an order. He overstepped his duty? Power? Acted outside the chain of command? Is article 90 applicable

They probably thought he was insane and a satan worshipper, assuming they get their knowledge of what goes on in the US from the large US media giants, like NYTs and WashPO.

1 Like

Standing US doctrine for decades, sorry.

If you read the article, the word “commissioned” also appears.

Did Trump or anybody else actually give him an order not to contact the Chicoms?

they didn’t call.

Only treason if we were at a declared war with China.

Still really bad though.

Ever notice how China got away with unleashing a global pandemic with almost no bad PR , let alone actual monetary repercussions. Then Milley kisses their posterior?? He needs relieved of duty ASAP.

again, who are “you guys”? you seem very confused

This DOES pass the smell test.

Milley acting at the behest of Pelosi…

If you believe the latest Bob Woodward book, the United States has lost civilian control of its military — unless you count Nancy Pelosi who seems to have been in control of everything since she became speaker in 2019 with the single-minded goal of bringing down Donald Trump.

Everything has gone downhill since, and most dangerously at the Pentagon where a cohort of woke generals fell under Pelosi’s malign spell.

That’s the only way you can ­understand how Gen. Mark Milley could have become so deranged that he cast himself as the hero of a “Seven Days in May”-style fever dream in which only he could save the nation from Trump launching nuclear war with China to stay in office.

[quote=“Camp, post:213, topic:240160”]
Ever notice how China got away with unleashing a global pandemic with almost no bad PR.

Oh yeah, I notice! It’s astounding because the whole world suffered from and still is suffering from it. I want to know where the hell is the The World Court when you need them? You know the ones who convicted GWB and Cheney for war crimes but are silent on the bio warfare of covid19 unleashed around the world by the CCP.

2 Likes

Not necessarily.

If the US had excellent, and I do mean EXCELLENT, intelligence (confirmed through dozens of sources both in and outside of the PRC) that the PLA were preparing to launch a first strike on CONUS then a preemptive strike could be justified. It’s crossed the minds of thinkers ever since MAD came into being.

That is highly unlikely though. No one wants to accidentally start a nuclear war. Assuming tensions are extremely high, the US would adopt a launch on warning stance with ICBMs. Basically the second PRC missiles leave their silos US forces would retaliate with our own ICBMs to get them off the ground to hit whatever the PRC has left in reserve.

Soooo. There was an insurrection on January 6th, just not at the Capitol.

As for this case, this sort of reminds of a book I read called Arc Light, except with some different circumstances. In that story, the Russians and Chinese are in a cold conflict after a previous war where the Russians lost control of portions of eastern Siberia but refused to use their nuclear Arsenal due to not wanting to provoke an accidental response from the US.

The US is a neutral third party in this Cold War, but leans pro-Russia since the US is having issues with China in the Korean Peninsula. One day, a US general with a good friend in the Russian army receives a heads up that the Russians plan to restart the war and launch a counterforce strike against China’s ICBMs. He tells the American general to relay that information to the White House so that they will stay out of the situation.

He alerts the President’s chief advisor, who then informs the president with recommendations that he should only notify SEC DEF and State and go to DEFCON 3. The President however is horrified by the idea of the fallout from Russian nuclear strikes on ICBMs going over Chinese cities and killing millions. So he makes the decision to notify the Chinese premier, who then strike the Russians first.

Not the same scenario, since it’s basically backwards, but it does make one thing about situations like these.

That’s not his job. That is State’s job. With the direct input of the president and his advisors.

Well that is technically how it is.

Nuclear war isn’t measured in days, months, or years like conventional conflict.

Nuclear war is measured in increments of 5 minutes at a time. Because worse case scenario your opponent parks a ballistic missile submarine about a thousand miles off your coastline and they launch their SLBMs on a depressed trajectory. Sacrifices range and throw weight for a very fast flight time, 7 minutes at most.

That’s not a lot of time to make some very hard decisions.

That is why since 1945, the executive branch has been given significantly more authority for nuclear war than it has for conventional war. Because decisions have to be made in five minute increments. Congress, by its very design, cannot operate that fast. The executive branch can.

They worshipped Barack Obama, so it stands to reason that they knew exactly what they were getting with a third term.

Complete lack of understanding of when a war actually starts.

Or a fight for that matter.

It isn’t a John Wayne movie.

1 Like

The French aren’t I just saw were they pulled their ambassador from the U.S. has that ever happened before?

Don’t worry, they’ll get over it.