What American businesses should learn from Starbucks' racial town hall today

Well they fired 2 or 3 people over the years for sexual harassment. There’s an effective derrent!

I disagree about it not being useful.

I agree! Think I felt a bit of a quake there. :grin:

Have you ever been in one?

I have been a lot in my 31 years with the man.

I speak from experience.

Totally and utterly useless., sneaky.

Allan

If one person changes their attitude…

Yes, I’ve been in many of them.

The thing is people don’t change on this issue.

Do you think if true racist attended diversty class every year, they would change. Lol.

Not a snowballs chance in hell.

Allan

FYI, Chris Hayes and Joy Reid are co-hosting a discussion on racism tied to the Starbucks event today at 9 p.m. tonight on MSNBC. I’m DVRing.

There’s nothing wrong about a company wanting to protect themselves from an employee who does something really stupid. Maybe Roseanne could have done with a little training.
The problem can occur when the people who run these programs try to push things like affirmative action and tells people they are all inherently racist.
We did a number of these diversity training things in the federal government in the 90s. None after, at least not through 2007 when I retired. People don’t take well to being told they need re educating because they are racists.

Just one person’s opinion. Based on the training sessions I’ve been in, they promote awareness. And whether you like it or not, it doesn’t hurt to recognize the signs that are out there. It’s the way to prevent bad things from happening.

I used to spend a lot of money with Starbucks because I like their product. When they decided to enter politics, I found I disliked their politics more than I liked their product and haven’t touched it since. The further they dive into an area that’s business, is not their business, it will continue to cost them customers and the revenue they generate.

You don’t have a problem with politics in business. You have a problem with politics you disagree with. Just be straight about it.

That’s not true Allan.

I thought this was about sexual harassment. Now I’m disappointed.

What are you arguing about? The purpose of training is to change behavior, not necessarily attitudes. Civil rights laws did not immediately change attitudes, yet attitudes among many have changed.

I’m not sure what they’re policy is now. Can you just hang around all day using the bathroom and not buy anything or not? Or does that depend on your race?

free use of the toilet… fabulous

giving these indigents free food and coffee before they use the toilet… priceless

…wait

I’m a businessman and realize that bringing politics, religion or any other line of division into it…is negative to the bottom line…which is why I’m there.

Ask the black guy who befriends klan members and has changed the minds of quite a few of them, some of whom now are anti racism activists. I wish I could remember his name.

They changed their policy from customers only using restrooms to anybody can use them.

Clayton Bigsby