What American businesses should learn from Starbucks' racial town hall today

It’s not like you can refuse to go … You can’t even tell anyone you think it’s stupid and a waste of time. Thought crimes…

And I feel that anyone who would go to a harassment training and claim it was a complete waste of time probably really needs to go to that harassment training and some follow up ones.

You would think so.

I’m with Cratic, though. Anyone who would write on a customer’s cup a name other than the one the customer gave – and in particular a slur – already knows it’s wrong. Nobody is that stupid. (Or, shame on the employer for hiring someone so stupid.)

“Training” isn’t needed here. Just sack anyone who does that. Make a clear corporate directive, and stick with it.

As punishment?

Some people would be better learning _from_them.

Not much to learn from race baiters.

Could they learn to cave in to public opinion whether said opinion is accurate or not?

I have nothing against well-designed courses/programs of this nature. I know racism still exists and racial bias as well.

I object to the perception that the lady who got these men arrested was acting out of racial bias when nothing of the sort was ever established, except in the minds of those who saw “Black people were told to leave and then arrested. OBVIOUSLY it was about racial bias”.

As far as I could tell, Starbucks had a policy about loiterers, and she was enforcing it.

I believe this is a waste.
A problem as systemic as racism in America is not going to be solved in a couple of hours. This is a top/down issue now down/up. When I mean the top, I’m talking about starting with the guy in the White House.

Props for Starbuck for trying, but in my opinion this is nothing more than a multi-million dollar symbolic gesture.

This is America…

1 Like

Congratulations.

You don’t think there’s any value in one of the largest companies closing all of their chain stores for a day to show at least a modicum of efforts towards education has any value other than being a gesture? Here we are talking about it. I think it’s probably at a bare minimum a baby-step towards awareness. For all of us.

Then you don’t know how most of these classes are structured.

Most diversity training is completely ineffective, and we’ll stop talking about this the instant there’s another shiny bauble out there to look at.

Starbucks is not going to single handedly defeat systemic racism today, I’m not an idiot. I just don’t think there’s any value in denigrating their efforts, either. Everyone who stops by a Starbucks today will find that it’s closed and will be reminded why. There’s value in that in my opinion.

You can’t refuse to serve anyone any reason … Like the signs say all over the place in most stores.

Of course, spinning it that way. But that’s not what’s happening.

Great for you, that you have never harassed anyone.

But for the harassers (and they are out there) they get a little reality check.

I usually fall asleep at the SH meeting. at the end I usually say well that was great.

They are boring to right thinking people you and me. I will give you that.

Allan

Its basically boring and useless.

Allan

The way they are presented in my company, they are a complete waste of my time.

everyone employee knows it.

Allan

Here’s what you dont do.

You dont bother people about anything in the first place.

That’s my diversity class in three short words.

DONT BOTHER PEOPLE.

Allan

Starbucks shouldn’t have to do it just because people assumed this was a case of racism.

That’s what I’m upset about.

This kind of crap sets race relations back…it doesn’t move it forward.

No spin concerning Obama and Sharpton.