We Need to Increase Police Salaries

Hell no. Teachers are overpaid as it is.

Yes he did.

In theory I agree but how many hours of Continuing education would you suggest we require? A buddy of mine on HPD says he spends a minimum of 4 hours a month in education. That may not be enough and I think the state requirement for TCOLE is 40 hours every 2 years. I wouldn’t be opposed to that increasing.

Not sure why he continues to reply to me. He’s been on ignore for a while based on idiotic statements made above. It’s just mean to quote him and make me read his garbage. :rofl: I mean, seriously, you’re correct, where on earth did I say that. I think education is extremely important, so important that people should be able to do basic math and figure out teachers aren’t these little victims that are underpaid and over worked. :wink:

They’re the only ones I care about because I can’t control what other states pay. :wink:

At minimum it needs to be doubled.

No cop should get schooled by a citizen about the law. Both should be equally knowledgeable about it. I’m not letting the rest of us off the hook, either. Everyone should carry a copy of the US constitution and their state’s constitutional on their phones and actually read the damn thing every once in a while.

Seen plenty of videos where the cop doesn’t know what the hell he or she is talking about. They just demand you comply with their orders because they are the law.

Half of our problems as a country is that we don’t know our own rights and we don’t respect the documents that enshrine our rights.

The other half is the breakdown of respect. No one wants to earn it and no one wants to give it even when it is earned.

2 Likes

And to me that opinion means that he doesn’t value education because he wants to reduce teachers salaries.

I could get on board with that. I had to educate one about LTC law a while back. I thought at first he was being obtuse but I realized he actually didn’t know the law. They get militant when they ask to see your LTC and you refuse. Some have figured out that they can only demand ID when you’ve been lawfully arrested (38.02) and that the LTC law that requires you to show your license and LTC when a peace officer demands it doesn’t invalidate 38.02… they still have to have lawfully arrested you for them to demand your ID. After the initial shock and threat of arrest, he calmed down and I showed him both laws… he promised to do further research but agreed that it looked like I was right. When he calmed down and decided to leave, I flashed my LTC at him to put his mind at ease but I didn’t allow him to run me.

well i dunno…

what are they worth?

you seem to think more than they’re paid now?

i tend to agree

but that’s a lousy way to determine someone’s value right?

how do you determine that?

I’ve noticed a lot of the current crop sporting “combat beards”. I don’t like it.

We need to slash police budgets. You’re not emboldening corrupt officer to do right by throwing a bigger paycheck their way.

There’s graphics floating around showing city budgets for police and other programs/expenditures… the police dwarf their counterparts. These same resources could be invested in community and social programs to help alleviate the problems that police are called out for in the first place.

But I get it, this is a capitalist society, and those in power need the status quo to maintain their way of living… they also need a few grunts to rough people up and protect their coins.

Police pay is going to have to increase simply because in the current climate, fewer people will be willing to do it. Man I could swear liberals were running around not that long ago going on about how heroic first responders were.

1 Like

Nonsense. There will never be a shortage of people who want to be cops - the desire to wield authority is a very prevalent aspect of the human condition.

1 Like

The first step to a real solution is to make it much harder to become a cop.

1 Like

Well you are certainly free to make that assertion. But that’s all it is. I know of at least two that are thinking of getting out.

oh yeah true they were such heroes. they werent racist then either!

1 Like

That’s not the majority of cops.

I think the vast majority go in with good intentions. They want to serve their communities and make a decent pay check.

The culture corrupts some of them. Others are corrupted by the horrors of what they have to deal with on a daily basis if they work in a place like Bailey Avenue in Jackson, MS. Others stay straight.

I agree with everything you’ve said. Nevertheless, I also stand behind my statement.

The desire for authority is not necessarily a bad intention.

Right back atcha.

How quickly left forgets all those bullies who ran into the towers that day.