We Need to Increase Police Salaries

police officers (and teachers) should be paid what they are worth

1 Like

I’d say increase training standards, increase knowledge of constitutional and state law through classes, and increase salaries.

Better trained, more knowledgeable, and happier cops equals better cops.

So how would we raise the money for increased police salaries?

Not that I disagree. I personally believe cops in most precincts are horribly underpaid and overworked. Which can lead to the aggressive tendencies some cops show towards other citizens.

I’m willing to pay higher taxes if we get better cops out of it.

In fairness, people generally aren’t trying to kill cops all the time either.

Just like how cops aren’t trying to kill black men all the time.

There are incidents and tragedies. Not that many cops are killed by citizens and not that many unarmed citizens are killed by cops.

My issue isn’t that cops kill black men disproportionately. Because they don’t. The numbers show that they don’t.

My issue is that many cops tend to get completely out of control and refuse to respect the rights of citizens, be they black or white or some other ethnic/racial group.

I’m a light skinned mixed dude driving a two year nice car. You don’t have to talk to me like I’m some sort of gang banger when you pull me over. You don’t have to demand where I’m going or where I’ve been. It’s none of their business.

1 Like

So a lot more than they’re paid now?

Hell no. Teachers are overpaid as it is. At minimum, they are required to be paid $40,392 ($33,660 per year for a 10 month contract). $3366 a month/ 160 hours = $21.03 an hour. that’s a 22 year old kid, straight out of college with 0 experience and that’s minimum pay. That doesn’t include the huge number of vacation days. According to TRS.texas.gov, they get 12 days per year of vacation, 12 days of sick leave and 12 to 15 days of paid holidays, set by the Texas legislature. So add this up: They’re contracted to work ~181 days. General public gets 10 days of vacation, 8 holidays and sometimes sick leave. They are expected to work 260 days. So remove vacation time and assume 10 days of sick leave for a private employee. That leaves them with 232 days worked while the teachers end up with 145 days worked.

Yeah, the myth of the underpaid teacher needs to die a horrible death. It’s just BS.

■■■■ considering the way kids are today I would say that’s underpaid.

Kids give them no respect and they treat them and their own educations like dirt.

Parents don’t raise their kids but they expect their teachers to raise them.

America’s central issue? A lack of respect.

4 Likes

It’s getting to the point we will not be able to hire policemen. I wouldn’t take the job in today’s nutty climate.
I look for it to get so bad there will be some type of conscription implemented.

1 Like

I’m a pasty white dude and they still ask me where I’m going. I respond, “You sound like my wife.” Try it sometime, they usually laugh. We do need a better way to run off a cop that is proven to abuse his power. Body cameras should be mandatory nationwide and it should be on every encounter and they should be uploaded to the cloud and saved for 12 months and accessible to the public. That alone would get most of the abusive cops to find a new career.

it’s no myth… teachers are paid according to where they teach…

That would make it worse.

Conscription was always a horrible idea in the military. And it’s a way worse idea in the civilian world.

You don’t want to put people in that sort of environment who don’t want to be there. If people think cops are too brutal now, wait until a bunch of conscripts are given a baton and a Glock and all of that authority.

You want volunteers. People who are willing to go above and beyond.

Let’s remember the chicken and the egg here. Why can’t teachers handle kids anymore? Because Liberals have taken the power of discipline away from teachers. When I grew up, we freaking listened and yes, part of it was parental involvement. If I got the paddle at school, when I got home, I got it again and worse. That tends to put a kid into focus. The other issue is single parent households. Single mothers typically make terrible enforcers. Single fathers typically make terrible counselors. If you’re lacking one, you end up with emotional problems and that manifests itself in behavior problems. This will never get fixed until society decides they’ve had enough of the dead beat dads and women stop giving them the time of day.

1 Like

So education is not important for you. Got it.

It’s a damn myth. My numbers were Texas state minimums. Doesn’t make one bit of difference where in Texas you teach.

So you don’t value education. Got it.

No disagreement from me on any of that. As the child of two deadbeat parents I’ll say that people need to man the ■■■■ up and raise their kids.

2 Likes

Did he say that?[quote=“mobulis, post:35, topic:232017, full:true”]

So you don’t value education. Got it.
[/quote]

Did he say that?

Did he say that?
[/quote]

Yes he did.

No. He didn’t.

He didn’t say cut their pay. He believes they are overpaid.

That’s a valid opinion.

What people feel is just compensation differs between people.

not every teacher teaches in Texas