We Need to Increase Police Salaries

How quickly the rights tries to use 9/11 as a political bludgeon, even 19 years later.

If you want, I’ll go toe-to-toe with you on 9/11 stories. Don’t bit off more than you can chew.

Oh, is your story more tragic than all the cops who gave their lives to help others that day?

1 Like

Oh, I’m sorry.

I didn’t realize that you represented and spoke for the first responders who died on 9/11.

My apologies.

Every decent American speaks for them, when their memories are dishonored by cretins saying all police are bad or that they don’t care if cops are injured or killed.

1 Like

Okay Thinkingman :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

There’s an argument to be made for higher salaries but this is not it.

LE is a calling, not a career people go into with dreams of growing wealthy.

If anything we need better screening of recruits because unfortunately the vocation is very attractive to bullies and thugs.

If we could eliminate those people from the pool of recruits we’ll have much better policing.

There’s a lot more teachers than there are police. So it’s easier to pay the police more.

No, that’s not how it works. You don’t get to use the dead first responders on 9/11 as a political weapon. You don’t speak for “decent Americans”.

How many friends of yours died on 9/11?

Do you really want to play this game with me?

1 Like

Yes, I do. I just did. Again, no matter how many people you know who died that doesn’t change the sacrifice all those cops made and I will remind people that accuse cops in general of being racist or of brutality of that sacrifice. I am not playing a game, common decency isn’t a game.

2 Likes

Yes but with guns. Outside of gentrification reason number 4686 why NYC crime has been dropping is an increase in community policing

They will still have guns. What’s the disaster

I think it’s more paycheck.

As I near my 25 year mark in policing here are my thoughts on pay and how the future looks for getting people to be cops.

I started in 1996. When I tested there were approximately 300-400 people in an auditorium to take a test for 3 job openings. It was extremely competitive.

Last year at my same department we announed a test and that we were hoping to hire 10 people. We had 35 people show up and most of them were applying at multiple departments across the region. One of the women we hired got 4 job offers in the course of a month.

One thing that hasn’t changed since I started is that in any testing cycle you can figure that 70% will fail either the written test (which is very basic) or physical fitness test. Of the 30% left half will fail a background check due to drug use or a criminal record.

So your dealing with a very shallow pool of applicants and as I said the good candidates are usually willing to relocate so its very competitive. As I said the girl we hired had 4 job offers. Another girl we offered a job to took our offer to another agency who immediately outbid us so she went there. We have in our contract that all new hires start the same unless they have prior law enforcement experience but this other agency did not.

What this all means is that when you have to fill openings and your choices are slim you end up taking chances on people you might not have otherwise. That obviously doesn’t bode well for the future. Furthermore the pool of applicants is even slimmer. Depts nationwide were already struggling to fill vacancies with quality applicants. Thats going to be exponentially worse now.

And add to that a massive wave of retirements is happening across America right now too. Those who can retire are doing so and those getting close (me) are strongly looking at the early out options even though there is a financial penalty. No officer is paid nearly enough to put up with how they are being treated in some of the larger cities with rioting and constant attack on cops at the so called peaceful protests where bricks, bottles, and other things are being constantly thrown at police, where cars are being burned, etc.

Its going to be dystopian nightmare across America soon when departments will not be able to field enough cops to respond to anything but the most serious of crimes and even then very late. There is a documentary on Netflix that you all should watch called Flinttown. Its about Flint Michigan, the water crisis, the police dept, etc. Their dept is so understaffed that it can take them up to 24 hrs to respond to things like armed robberies. That is coming to every major city in America soon.

3 Likes

This. Now imagine how many of those applicants are going to want to work in a city or state that doesn’t have any respect for police. Conservative areas will be taking virtually all the applicants absent a big pay differential.

Something I should mention. I live in Idaho, the most conservative state in the country. And we are struggling to get people to get cops. I can’t even image how much harder its going to be in places where its open warfare on the cops. Why would anyone want to be a cop in those places nowadays?

1 Like

Well you know, You can make some good cash on the side, if you are willing to be corrupt. Or you can hire people nobody else will.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I’m sure all the social workers that libs want to hire in place of cops will be un-corruptible.

The authority has to be reduced. The exceptions, the work arounds in the law. The “officer discretion”. Start with “reasonable suspicion”. Cops are not “reasonable”. They can’t articulate the basis of their suspicion.

“How do I know you aren’t a felon / have warrants?”

No.

The law has to be made right first.

I’d say this would be an accurate representation of what they would end up with.