Video of melting a machine gun barrel

Doesn’t sound good…

How many rounds did you and your AG carry for your ‘60? How many barrels?

I understand that, but if metal gets too hot, it becomes plastic and deforms under pressure. 800 rounds in just over a minute will destroy the accuracy of the barrel well before the minute is up. The barrel in the video is toas even if it was brand new when the trigger was pulled. My guess is that they probably used a nearly shot out barrel to begin with.

Those barrels are a lot hardier than you think.

1 Like

But not tough enough to defy the metallurgy.

OK Samm, trust the opinion coming out of your head then. Never mind the real world. :wink:

Are you going to deny that a red hot gun barrel has not been softened by the heat and damaged by the stream of jacketed lead being squeezed down the barrel? That Sergeant, IS the real world.

Are you going to pretend like you’ve ever fired 800+ rounds through one of those? Gonna pretend like it doesn’t happen just about every single range day, without ruining a damn thing?

Of course you are, because you’ve once again made a hasty opinion, passed it off as a fact, and now you’re going to double down on it instead of listening to the real world. Stop pretending, Samm. It’s becoming a bad habit of yours. :wink:

Totally worth it.

1 Like

Seems inadequate. Go for 2,000 rounds next time.

1 Like

I’m no expert but it seems to me if the barrel gets hot enough
1 There would be an accident
and/or
2 It would fuse in place and you couldn’t replace the barrel.

Speaking of which, I reached out to one of my last two buddies that’s still in the Army.

It was just a test run, like the rest of the war. :frowning:

1 Like

I’m talking about 6’s backpack magazine.

1 Like

When the barrel gets hot enough, you’ll get a runaway gun, at which point you or your buddy will break the ammo link in order to stop it and regain control.

You will then switch out with your spare barrel so that one can cool back down.

3 Likes

Three stage rotating barrel kit.

1 Like

Assigned as a gunner in 79. Carried one for 2 years, till I became a team leader. Not too bad to carry with the shoulder strap adjusted correctly. Got real light when you pulled the trigger. Not hard to keep on target on the assault.

That’s well beyond the point. The point is that 700 rounds fired continuously in 56 seconds will do more damage to the barrel than 800 rounds fired in short bursts. I know that. You know that. Everyone familiar with guns knows that.

One person cannot argue by themselves Sarge.

Now you’re bouncing all over the place like I said you would. Sit down and stop trying to be the one talking all the time for a change. Try learning from actual experts with actual experience every now and then. :wink:

No bounce at all. My position hasn’t changed one iota.

And double down on that too, of course. :rofl:

Don’t pretend next time and you can avoid the embarrassment. :wink: