Video of melting a machine gun barrel

And a triple down from you. Why are you busting my balls on this? You know I’m right about this, but you’re pulling rank.

You need the last word now too, yes. That should help with the butthurt, right? This is exactly what the bottom rung libs do. I expect you to be better, Samm, but if you insist on being like them, the last word is in the garbage. :wink:

^^^ The last word. :wink:

That’s what I thought. I am the master. :sunglasses:

I suppose the machine guns mounted to aircraft don’t shoot as fast as this one… I imagine those have a better cooling system (air moving across the barrel moving at a few hundred mph most times) … I don’t know

Most modern aircraft use either rotary cannons (basically electro-hydraulic Gatling guns; multiple barrels) or revolver cannons (single barrel with multiple chambers; uses electrical primer mechanisms) chambered in 20-35mm. Extremely high rate of fire for both options (US fighters use rotary cannons, most European and Russian aircraft use revolver cannons).

Classic aircraft used machine guns with extremely light bolts and had a rate of fire north of 1200rpm. The M2 family used by the US in WWII is a good example. The ground version (carried on ground vehicles or set up in fixed positions) have a pretty low rate of fire. I think around 550rpm or so. The aircraft versions carried on US fighters had a rate of fire somewhere between 900-1200 RPM.

The reason for this is because in air combat with guns you may only get one or two seconds on the target. So you want to get as many rounds at the target to guarantee hits.

that makes sense… thanks for the reply

Oh my

Gatlin guns are huge ammo wasters…. But in certain applications they are the only option that makes sense.

Like the previous example of aircraft where firing time at the target might be extremely short.

Also C-Ram’s used to shoot down rockets and mortars for base defense, and also mounted on ships for the same.

2 Likes

That looks like OFASTS in Oklahoma.

Kill The Car is my favorite event.