Video of melting a machine gun barrel

Are both designs based on the FN Minimi? Or is the 249 more of an original design?

I know the 240 is basically a Minimi made to American specifications. But I’ve always been confused about how the 249 fits into the family. Beyond the different cartridges.

Was there a significant weight difference?

On paper at least it looks like the M60 was a decent bit lighter. Or was it imperceptible once you had to carry both back to back?

Sorry I’m a bit of a nerd on this stuff. Love hearing about it from people who got to use them.

I’m honestly not sure from personal experience. I kinda want to say the 240 was designed 1st, but only in its vehicle mounted form, the 240C…… this was what vehicles like tanks and Bradley’s had hard mounted for anti personnel use.

the infantry weapon was the 240B that looked like they basically took a coax machine gun and put a buttstock and grip on it.

1 Like

This was long ago so give it a grain of salt…. But I seem to remember the m60 being more carry friendly. My perception is: less sharp edges digging into you as you carried it……. But that was also 28 years ago being the last time I handled an m60.

1 Like

The M60 has been phased out for general use, but is still used by Navy Seals and some other Navy and Coast Guard components.

1 Like

That’s okay. After 700 rounds non-stop he’d probably have to replace the barrel anyway. :wink:

800 rounds is the standard.

1 Like

I don’t think he was going for accuracy there. :wink:

Awesome video

Here’s the refined Terminator Ironman Ammo Pack that the Army ended up using (while I was in anyway. could’ve been a pilot program like the rest of the war).

800-1,000 rounds between reloads.

2 Likes

My older brother was in arms maintenance in Nam. He serviced pretty much everything from side arms up to 155 mm howitzers and had access to essentially every weapon carried by the soldiers. Part of that job was testing repaired arms. Other than the absolute thrill of shooting a quad 50 (with virtually no limit on how much ammo he used) he told me his favorite gun by far was the M60.

1 Like

Yes, but not all at once, I presume. :wink:

I saw a demonstration where they stuffed all kinds of things into gun barrels to see what would happen and the bullets just went right through everything, it was amazing.

Doesn’t matter whether it’s cyclic or controlled bursts. You replace the barrel every 800 rounds. Period.

Bet none of them fired off a round with a clearing rod still in the barrel. :rofl:

No but they filled barrels with dirt and rocks and all kinds of stuff lol. It all got pushed right out of the barrel.

A pop-no-kick would’ve also been pretty exciting. I had one of those with my .45 once, and just barely took my finger off the trigger before firing another (talk about a rush of relief lol). It was a great lesson in remembering that playing around with a rapid rate of fire is dangerous and negligent too.

I had an HK 91 and emptied quite a few 20 round magazines through it and never had an issue. It was expensive I’ll say that, but never had a problem. A friend has a .45 Tommy gun with the drum style mag, that thing is a blast to shoot.

A pop-no-kick is definitely not common, but it only took once for me. lol