Video Games (what are you playing)

Those are some classic JRPGs have you ever played the dragonquest series?

My top 10 will have some recency bias with one obvious exception.

1. Horizon Zero Dawn
  2. Baldurs Gate II
  3. Dragon Age Inquisition
  4. Mass Effect 2
  5. Fallout 4 (main story was kinda weak but the rest was amazing)
  6. Skyrim
  7. Spiderman (PS4 version)
  8. Fallout 3
  9. Mass Effect 3 (Love the game, especially love the ending if you consider the Indoctrination theory about it to be what was really going on there)
  10. Baldurs Gate

I was tempted to Knights of the Old Republic on my list as at one point it was definitely in my top 3 of all time but it hasn’t aged that well. The story is still great but while it definitely one of the inspirations for RPG games with companions its been outdone greatly by its successors, primarily the Mass Effect games which were by the same company (Bioware).

Which ones have you tried? I did not like Origins (the first DA game) at all gave up after a few hours of it. So I then skipped DA II altogether. Saw gameplay of Inquisition and could tell it was sort of like Mass Effect and Fallout in some gameplay ways and gave it a try and loved it and especially loved the depth of the storylines. So I then went back and decided to try Origins again. Still hated the gameplay but the story was great so I set the difficulty to easy and just powered through it for the story. So then I tried DA II which I believe gets a bad rap. Its closer to Inquisition in gameplay than Origins and while it has some flaws (it recycles the same areas over and over and over and over and over again) the combat and story are great. Especially when you realize just how much the choices in Origins affect this game if you import it and then realize that a lot of the secondary characters in DAII became major characters in Inquistion. I nearly squealed (Squealed!) in delight in starting up DAII and seeing Cassandra (perhaps the most important supporting character in Inquisition) at the start of DAII.

This is why Horizon Zero Dawn is my favorite game of all time: the story. The story is just so amazing if your a lover of sci fi or post apocalyptic stuff. The gameplay is fun and great too but this game immerses you in a full realized post apocalyptic world where you want so badly to find out the next clue as to how it got this way and what your characters connection to the old world is. In a lot of sgames I find myself just glossing over the notes, logs, and lore but here I just couldn’t get enough of them as it was so well told and done.

2 Likes
  1. Zelda: A Link to the Past
  2. The Secret of Monkey Island
  3. Skyrim
  4. Goldeneye
  5. Halo: Combat Evolved
  6. Quake III Arena
  7. Mario Kart 64
  8. Fallout 3
  9. Just Cause 2
  10. Heroes of Might and Magic 3
1 Like

Yeah, used to really dig JRPG’s dont have the patience for em anymore though.

I did own Dragonquest 8 for the PS2 which I really enjoyed.

I fell in love with the gameplay as soon as you got into the open world section.

To this day I will say Horizon is the most well designed open world action game ever made. No weapon feels useless, the world is large but can be traversed quickly without fast travel, the enemy AI is absolutely fantastic (which makes sense considering Killzone always had excellent AI routines), the story is genuinely interesting and has a crazy twist towards the end, and it never slows down after you get past the introductory section.

It doesn’t hurt that it’s the most beautiful console game ever made, either.

At the risk of earning the disdain of the fellow gamers here; I’m currently playing Fortnite, both the PvP and PvE modes.:zipper_mouth_face:

I tried it recently.

It’s actually a well made game. It’s fun and very addictive. Qualities of a good game.

The community sucks. But that’s most big online shooters. Call of Duty’s community is generally awful.

Games or Series I’ve put in serious time or competitive effort in over the years, in no particular order.

Warcraft II
Unreal Tournament
Quake
Counter-Strike
Halo
CoD4:MW
Rift
Oblivion
Borderlands
Destiny

Somewhat chronological of the games I put the most time into:

Ultima (multiple; 80s on a Mac!, much of it watching my brother)
Uninvited (again on the Mac)
Dark Castle (more 80s goodness, the sounds in this game were the best)
Dragons Lair (beating this on PC after so many quarters in an arcade was awesome)
Command & Conquer (multiple; but my RTS days ended when EA wrecked it)
Quake (learned I liked shooters)
Mario Kart and Goldeneye (buddies on a couch goodness)
Diablo II
WoW (started in WotLK, Legion lost me)
Hearthstone
Overwatch

1. WoW played on and off from day 1 til last year
  2. Diablo III (loved 1 and 2 as well)
  3. Starcraft II (what can I say, I’m a bit of a Blizz whore)
  4. LoTRO - probably the most beautiful MMORPG
  5. Skyrim
  6. Civilization (any of em)
  7. Master of Magic/Master of Orion - loved back in the day… hmmm… wonder if they still work…
  8. Pretty much anything with Ultima in the title
  9. Rift - much loved for quite some time, heard it has gone into the crapper now tho
  10. EQ 2

(no particular order)

Where my Dark Souls peeps at?! I’m currently on a Dark Souls 3 kick right now. If anybody needs some jolly co-op help just shoot me your info. And if you need some late game items I might be able to drop a few. Let me know where to drop that summon sign!

I’m on PS4, btw.

Check out good old games they rebuild classic pc games to be played on modern computers

At least play Apex!

Blizzard is a legendary gaming company, even if it has lost some of its shine lately.

I have a few friends that work for blizz and they have taken me on a tour of the blizz campus which awesome.

Have also attended a few blizzcons which was also an experience.

WoW ruined me, I no longer enjoy single player games…

1 Like

Great point about Dark Souls. I played 1/2/3. Great games. I have to say 1 was the hardest, just because of how laggy it was during certain parts…

List of games that are memorable to me.

Legend Of the Red Dragon: DOORS game for BBSs. First online game I played. Texted based. I didn’t realized what long distance phone calls were, so that free game cost me a bunch of money in the early 90s.
Asheron’s Call: I played in the Beta. First MMORPG.
Realms Of Kaos: Another Alpha/Beta. Text based rpg. I eventually got on staff. Lots of fun memories.
WoW. I played off/on from vanilla until Cataclysm. Never again.
League of Legends: Played from season 2 until 8. I was never any better than Silver. I do own a TON of skins though.
Dark Souls games: Gotta love a hard game.
Civilization games: Gotta love building.
Minecraft: More building.
Fallout games: Gotta love the post-apocalypse.
Elder Scroll games: Gotta love fantasy.

Edit:
On a completely different note, has anyone played Doki Doki Literature Club?

It’s free. I highly recommend. It’s more than it seems. I had to come back to it a few times because I stopped before it got interesting.

The new CIV 6 expansion is really good.

Games of the future that are definitely being made and releasing soon I’m looking forward to:

Horizon Zero Dawn 2 - rumored for a 2020 or 2021 launch.

Last of Us 2 - the gameplay in the first one was good but not great. What sucked you in was the amazing storyline and how well written it was. You got so emotionally invested in it. There is a scene near the end of the game, you know which one if you’ve played it, where you don’t know if one of the characters is alive or not and my wife started laughing at me when she caught me muttering “she better not be dead, she better not be dead” as the character I was controlling tried to make his way through a level. Trailers and gameplay videos have been out for a while so I’m hoping for a release later this year.

The Dying Light 2 - first game was a great mix of zombie killing, parkour controls, and RPG elements. The sequel is apparently going to be a lot more dynamic in terms of the RPG elements. No release date set yet but its thought to be late this year or early next.

Dragon Age IV - all we have so far is a teaser trailer that shows no actual gameplay. The game is still in the very early stages so we are probably at least 3 years out still.