US Postal Service reportedly tracking Americans’ social media posts

For a post on Parler? Then why aren’t they? Why are they sharing the information with other agencies?

Lets dumb this down so there’s no further confusion:

“Security Guards” are not allowed to wear these markings on their persons.

Probably for fishing.

Scouring publicly available information is like fishing in an aquarium.

Fishing for warrants. For a hit on a name or address. An excuse.

Maybe people shouldn’t be publicly posting “excuses” for the police to look at in the first place?

Goalposts

Nonsense. If I posted on Facebook I was planning to rob a bank tomorrow that would be probable cause.

A job for the FBI for sure.

1 Like

Nonsense. There might be reasonable suspicion if there were other factors.

Are you not aware of the 1st Amendment?

The 1st amendment kind of went out the window with the arrest of tax protesters. Besides, if what I say as an employee working for a private company isn’t protected, why would a public post on a privately owned public forum be?

Protected from whom?

Who indeed. Again, if money is speech and the government can arrest me or sieze my property if I don’t pay my taxes, what is the 1st protecting me from exactly?

There are however laws against domestic spying.

from NSA Spying on Americans Is Illegal | American Civil Liberties Union

The tensions between the need for intelligence agencies to protect the nation and the danger that they would become a domestic spy agency have been explicitly and repeatedly fought out in American history. The National Security Act of 1947 contained a specific ban on intelligence operatives from operating domestically. In the 1970s, America learned about the extensive domestic political spying carried out by the FBI, the military, the CIA, and the NSA, and Congress passed new laws to prevent a repeat of those abuses. Surveillance laws were debated and modified under presidents Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush Sr. and Clinton.

2 Likes

What an odd mission for the USPS.

I’d much rather they spend their time and money getting back to a day when the mail actually got to where it needed to in a reasonable amount of time.

If they stumble on something in teh course of postal work, that’s one thing, but to have a mandate to scour social media for problems outside teh scope of the mail…that’s dumb.

3 Likes

Most sensible post in the thread.
The USPS Police (postal inspectors) have had broad powers for quite a long time.
Mail fraud, and other crimes using the USPS as a tool, has been the job of the PI’s for…ever.

By monitoring Social Media, that is another tool in their arsenal to do their job.

This is not shocking, Them not doing this, would be shocking…

Might be part of the reason the USPS is a money pit.

2 Likes

Just showed you why they are using them, because they are prohibited by law to use intelligence agencies. It’s an end run around those laws.

2 Likes

The main reason is that they have pension funding requirements that no other entity in the world has.

That’s the theory.