US Postal Service reportedly tracking Americans’ social media posts

““The Internet Covert Operations Program is a function within the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, which assesses threats to Postal Service employees and its infrastructure by monitoring publicly available open source information,” the statement said.”

There is a vast right wing conspiracy against mailmen? I mean mailpersons?

Monitoring social media isn’t spying, is it?

It’s not a theory. It’s math.

noun, plural spies.

a person employed by a government to obtain secret information or intelligence about another, usually hostile, country, especially with reference to military or naval affairs.
a person who keeps close and secret watch on the actions and words of another or others.

Well, yes. This is spying.
That doesn’t mean it is necessarily illegal. But then spying is often legal.

Would it make any difference if the article had talked about their doing the same things but concentrated on postings by BLM activists?
Everybody would feel the same?

Lets say the Trump administration used post office personnel to keep track of postings by BLM supporters.
Perfectly fine or abuse of power and misuse of funds?

1 Like

Because Ben Franklin always knew the mail was important.

Don’t mess with the US mail, the US money, or dentistry in Texas.

I hope they are better at doing that than delivering mail

I don’t see how it relates to postal matters. At all.

2013: Edward Snowden leaks information that the U.S. government is spying on its own people with the hope that this will lead to the public being mad enough to stop this.

2021: Of course the post office police are tracking your posts on The Simpsons fan website. What are you dumb?

2 Likes

Meh. The only mildly surprising thing here is that it’s the Post Office doing it.

Absolutely not. And if ANTIFA is stupid enough to post, I am confident they are being monitored too.

Social media posts are public. This is like saying the government is spying on me by reading my bumper stickers, or signs I put in my front yard.

1 Like

:rofl: sure, sure.

Why are they tracking our posts?

That’s not their job.

1 Like

Indeed, it’s a good question. But I wouldn’t call it spying.

Did you know they were doing it?

1 Like

No, but I don’t know a lot of things. Were they trying to keep it a secret? If so, then I suppose it fits the definition of spying.

1 Like

To me in this case that’s a distinction without a difference. It can’t be a good thing. Unless they want to give me an award for posting so well.

It doesn’t seem like a good thing to me either, but I want to know more about why they’re doing it before I freak out. For years, employers have been scouring social media to find offensive comments from applicants. If that’s what this is about, I don’t necessarily like it, but I wouldn’t call it an insidious government spying ring.

Yes, and that sucks. And now the freakin’ post office is doing it.