Tulsa race riots

They had every right to show up armed. Being armed is not a crime now, and it wasn’t then.

In fact, to have shown up unarmed would have been foolish.

2 Likes

Uh oh…

What were the blacks guilty of?

1 Like

Can anyone even imagine what it was like to live in a time when your life could be ended by a brutal lynching pretty much by whim? And often with the authorities of the day either turning a blind eye or else endorsing it?

And then when you think it’s about to happen, people suggest that if you try to go do something about it as opposed to just trusting those same authorities, this somehow proves you “weren’t all that innocent”?

It’s quite unbelievable to me, actually.

Even more so when the blacks actually DID trust those authorities after having a chat with them.

2 Likes

I’m not surprised, sadly.Even Being accused of whistling at a white woman was a death sentence for a kid.

1 Like

Now I’m reading up on History network.

I find this statement interesting.

Tulsa was also a highly segregated city: Most of the city’s 10,000 Black residents lived in a neighborhood called Greenwood, which included a thriving business district sometimes referred to as the Black Wall Street.

Can anyone guess what that is?

Blacks with guns showing up in automobiles, thriving business district etc. And that is decades before goverment assistance.

That might be a good topic in itself.

The wiki article addresses your question. Another point of contention.

Yes that can happen…but still doesn’t wash one hands now does it?

Oh I can understand it then.

What I don’t understand is we in this century understand the entire context of the day…and yet STILL some are trying to say the blacks who went armed to the prison were “not all that innocent”.

When even with all that history and all the context that they could be lynched at whim…they STILL listened to the authorities and were LEAVING when they were set upon by whites and one of them was asked to surrender their weapon.

2 Likes

Of what ?

It wasn’t just black people.

Yes…so when you show up armed don’t cry if you get shot.

Blacks succeeded in spite of the oppression leveled at them.

Despite that success, however, they were always in danger of the mob and the authorities. In that regard, they weren’t much better off than the poor sharecropper blacks.

That was the reality of the world they lived in at the time. No matter how hard you tried, no matter how much you succeeded, there was always the chance that a racist white mob would destroy everything you worked for with the approval of the state. They had to live with that knowledge.

4 Likes

I’m specifically referring to the blacks that someone here claimed “weren’t all that innocent”.

Yes they have every right…but if you find yourself in shooting don’t whine about it.

Evidence?

I know.

Being armed wasn’t and isn’t a crime. They did nothing wrong by bearing arms.

Considering the reality of their world, they had no choice but to be armed.

1 Like

Come on man.

They…were…leaving…peacefully.

They were wrongly asked by those not in authority to surrender their guns.

In what way were they “not all that innocent”?

How much are the supposed to have quietly endured so you would have found them “innocent”?

1 Like