Tulsa race riots

There was another, yet similar case in Texas. They locked the accused in a vault for his safety. The mob set fire to the building and the man died in the vault. I believe Frank Hamer was there.

That town wasn’t burned down.

They apparently even used aircraft to drop incendiary devises on the neighborhood.

Indeed.

What actually started the riot was a newspaper article filled with completely bogus information about the nature of Rowland’s “assault”, which is what set the lynching rumors afoot and sent groups of white folks seeking to take justice into their own hands.

The chief of police of the day believed that but for that article, no riot would have happened.

1 Like

Yes, there is. You quoted it.

Entirely possible. Same with Tombstone escalations.

There is no doubt around who started the Tulsa riots.

1 Like

My mistake, Jay quoted it.

Sure there is.

I asked who shot first, so taken literally, there may be some doubt as to who actually fired the first shot. A shot went off?

1 Like

Yes no one knows who fired the first shot.

However, the whites who showed up as the blacks were leaving the jail had no business asking the black person they confronted to surrender his weapon.

Textbook case of what happens when people attempt to take justice into their own hands.

1 Like

Actually Wiki was a good read.

Sounds like Sheriff taken Rowland safety seriously. Whites that was protesting was mostly unarmed when Blacks shown up armed thinking a lynching was going to happen.

So yeah…Blacks weren’t all that innocent. Sounds like they came there for a fight.

Absolutely agreed.

Allegedly.

Everybody did.

So the planes coming in were random and not planned?

They came there to defend Rowland from being lynched.

When assured by the authorities that it wasn’t going to happen, they peacefully started to leave.

Did you miss that part?

1 Like

Yep…that is how I see it. Thus why I said Blacks weren’t all that innocent. So my original statement stands.

I have no doubt there were “some” Whites wanted to see a lynching. Also it seems the Sheriff had it under control until Blacks shown up with guns.

So there is plenty of blame to go around IMO.

Who controlled them? When did the planes “come in”?

Stopping a murder by a mob could indeed involve a fight.

You’re not even reading your own article.

He still had it under control and the blacks agreed and started to leave.

The riot didn’t start until one of the blacks was confronted by some whites and asked…wrongly…to surrender his weapon.

Even when it’s in plain English you ignore it.

The blacks thought someone was going to be brutally murdered and so went to do something to stop that.

You claim this shows they were “not all that innocent”.

What’s your thought process there?

2 Likes

They were exercising their right to open carry.

100% innocent.

4 Likes