Trumps administration pandemic response

If you take out Italy, Iran, Korea and Japan AND China, you’ve just removed a significant amount of the population of the entire planet.

We’ve only got a few cases in the UK as an example due to the high level of precautions we’re taking. But the trickle continues.

India worries me a bit I do admit. As long as the lions share stays in China it’s all manageable, on that I agree.

If it takes root in Iran or India however, the risk rises exponentially.

On the plus side, at least this is a real test of a global response to something fairly contagious starting in a high population centre.

Hopefully lessons are learned and put in place, because if it had been a bad one we’d have been in trouble.

Well now that they’ve added Kudlow and Mnuchin to the task force I feel much safer lol.

3 Likes

Sorry, but that just reads funny because those countries are 21% of the world population.

1 Like

And kids.

That’s pretty informative article, thanks for posting.

I guess my large point would have been to not add China to that. Their 1.7 billion people makes those countries 23% of the world population…but take China off and that number drops significantly that would make it like 4 percent of the world population. So anyway you cut it…CHINA makes up the majority of the numbers in this situation.

THe key is…keeping it in China. We should be stopping all flights into and out of china. I know that may not be popular…but it seems the only way to contain it.

You’re welcome. It sheds some light on things not being brought up in the media. It goes back to the comment I made about a week ago not looking at the big red circle on the map…there is much more to bore down into when looking at stuff like that. And the big red dots can be very scary until you work out the numbers.

Why the ■■■■ is Larry Cudlow on the task force?

Yep, some might roll their eyes at 2% but I wonder what the response will be when they hear the numbers for the elderly and young.

I’ve seen 15% quoted for over 80’s, 8% for 70-79. And it’s tilting towards higher fatalities in men, at least going by the Chinese numbers.

I’m not sure it’d be enough but I don’t disagree entirely

You’d also probably cause a global recession, or at least accelerate one.

It seems the virus was well on its way in Hubei Province before China finally did something.

The question is did they kept a lid on it until it escaped, or were they that slow to react?

Zomg whatabout everyone else nyaaaaa!

It’ll be fear again. Local officials not wanting to get into deep ■■■■■ and so not letting those higher up in the chain know how bad it was.

Oh my ■■■■■■■ flying spaghetti monster… This wont end well

Could be…or China goverment thought they could keep a lid on it.

But it does show how inept they are i continue diseases. One would think they had gain some experience with SAR’s.

If anything else, other then lost of life this will be a good test. Imagine a virus that spreads rapidly but 10/20 times more deadly.

1.7 billion is quite the number to contain. That’s part of it, not just the overall population but the density.

And I’d wait before calling them inept. This thing has shown the capacity to explode pretty quickly.

And yeah, we’re lucky this isn’t a catastrophically bad one.

Whats the treatment? Antibiotics?

That’s the real concern isn’t it? Virus being immune to it?

Oh I wouldn’t truth the date coming out of China… We will know soon enough if other places where the virus hits if they spread as rapid.

Well…China is about 20% and the other four are simply 3 % of the world population.

Nah, antibiotics are for bacterial. This is viral.

There are some broad-spectrum anti-virals, but there’s not been enough R&D money put into them. Something else we should learn from, we need new anti-biotics and new anti-virals.

4 Likes