Trump will fight impeachment in Supreme Court

I doubt Trump’s lawyers would file such a suit.
If they did SCOTUS would fast track it and dismiss it.

He would be better off claiming weaponization of house procedures, persecution, and witch hunt as hes done in the past.

Strangely i dont think his ego would allow him to let himself be only the 3rd president in history to actually be impeached. I think it would shatter him, even knowing the senate wouldnt remove him. The months and months of hearings would tear at his very soul and he wouldnt be able to wait until his senate acquittal.

Would be interesting to see if the dems did this.

The Democrat leadership is against impeaching him. The loons like AOC and Omar are pushing for it. It depends on who wins that battle.

Omar and AOC don’t want to impeach Trump either.

It’s not on the table.

Omar has already filed a resolution to impeach. AOC supports her.

How many times did the House vote to repeal Obamacare?

It’s theater.

I read the whole thing and thought the same thing. I think the court will find executive privilege does not apply to former staff of the white house.

It’s actually more complicated than that.

Executive privilege still applies after a staffer has left the white house - it still applies after a President has left office. But in the case of a former staffer, the White House can’t stop them from testifying, if they want to.

Isn’t that what I said? If not that’s what I meant.

I’m in the middle of studying for my final exam in a course called “Law of Separation of Powers”, so I’m suffering from the tendency to over-complicate everything.

My brain is currently wired to be ready to write a thousand words on the possible legal implications involved.

My sister is a lawyer. I remember her going thru that. Good luck to you. Where are you studying?

George Washington.

Nice. Very nice. Good luck.

Most Awesome! I tease my sister with all the lawyer jokes, but shes a family law attorney so in my line of work i really appreciate what she does.

Law school has taught me that a whole lot of cliches and jokes about lawyers (and pre-lawyers) are entirely based on reality.

I honestly don’t think I’ll actually ever work as a lawyer. It doesn’t interest me, and it’s not why I went to law school.

I went to law school to learn how it works.

1 Like

On this specific tweet, he’s wrong. However, if they intend to go with impeachment the general idea is that it won’t help the Democrats. I think there are something like 30 plus districts that voted for Trump in 2016 that went Democratic in 2018. Unless something dramatically changes, if they vote to impeach Trump it will be used against them in 2018. If those Trump district leaning Democrats vote against impeachment, then Pelosi would look like a total failure. Either way, as everybody knows, they ain’t going to get 67 votes in the Senate, and the whole venture will be a failure. Voters who voted for these Democrats when they had previously voted for Trump will think, I didn’t put them it the house so they can do this.

While I agree at this point there’s no chance of getting 67 votes in the Senate, I don’t really agree with your last statement. Those voters who voted for Dem reps in 2018 could have voted for Republican reps to help protect Trump, but they didn’t.
Maybe two years of what they’ve seen has changed (at least some) their minds.

The saddest part is I don’t know what Trump could do (or be found to have done) that will change the minds of his most loyal base, and thus the majority of Republicans in Congress.

Nah, don’t do that.

Like when Obama thought he could tell congress when it was or wasn’t in session? Or order the murder of US citizens without due process? Like that?

…or that there’s 57 states…amirite? :sunglasses: