Trump’s Lawyers, in Confidential Memo, Argue to Head Off a Historic Subpoena

On the weekdays, he doesn’t start “work” until 11 AM. On the weekends, he golfs.

Real busy.

Yup.

Uh…you’re the one who said:

Is obstruction of justice a crime?

We might find out. It looks like spygate is leading to the Obama White House.

Can the President obstruct justice?

Oops, that previous post was aimed at Piper.

https://www.weeklystandard.com/eric-felten/what-does-robert-mueller-expect-from-trump-with-his-list-of-questions

Then comes the important bit: According to Comey, the president asserted “that he of course can make a change at FBI if he wants, but he wants to know what I think.” And what did Comey think? What legal advice did he provide the president? “I responded by saying that he could fire me any time he wished.”

Note what Comey didn’t say. He didn’t say Trump could fire him any time except for when the director was engaged in an investigation touching on the administration. He didn’t say Trump could fire him but only if the president had a good reason. He said Trump could fire him “any time he wished,” which implies Trump could fire him for any reason, or no reason at all. Later in the same paragraph, it’s worth noting, Comey assured Trump “that he could count on me to always tell him the truth.”

Comey told Trump’s top aide the same thing. In a private West Wing meeting one day in early February 2017, chief of staff Reince Priebus asked the FBI director how his tenure with the bureau worked. “I explained that I had a ten-year term,” Comey wrote, but added “the President could fire me anytime he liked.”

Comey said Trump could fire him at any time. I don’t disagree with that. He never said that his firing couldn’t be obstruction of justice. He never said that the circumstances surrounding his firing wouldn’t lead to consequences.

You’re implying he said that, which he didn’t, and you even said it was implied. So, again, when did Comey expressly say his firing could not be obstruction of justice or have consequences? Furthermore, it doesn’t matter what Comey may or may not have said. As he did expressly say, he is neither an investigator nor prosecutor.

I also find it funny that you think Comey should be brought before a grand jury because of his treachery, but think his “implied” word of law is up to muster.

1 Like

Gowdy said the FBI did nothing wrong. Is Gowdy lying or just a lib now?

do you ever look at clouds and just go blank with thought because they are too complex for you to grasp?

Do you think that Trump has been totally honest with his lawyers? I think he knows what he has done now.
And he acts totally like he is guilty. If not, why does he continue this propaganda and discredit routine?

1 Like

Firing Comey had to be for cause. Which could be the way he handled the Clinton investigation. But if his mindset was to fire him to end the investigation then it could be obstruction. That is what Mueller would question him about. And if Trump relayed his intention to fire Comey to end the investigation to anyone on his staff and if that (those) staff members told that to Mueller, then Mueller will inform congress of that fact.
And then it is up to congress to decide if Trump tried to obstruct justice. Simple as that.

I get the felling that a whole bunch of Trump supporters did just that. But what the hell, when and if the facts hit them square in the face they will shrug it off and just say, “lock her up”.

1 Like

im just tired of the stupidity. Judt really tired of it. These people are lying and just an affront to everything that makes america and its like you cant get through to them or the american public that these people are a cancer on this nation. No person is above the law…none…Thats not how life works. These people are breaking the norms, they are an affront to law enforcement. I will vote straight dem till i see some sense of a purge of these worthless sacks of crap from the GOP.

2 Likes

Correct! They will never except the outcome of the investigation no matter what facts are laid out! I’m willing to except Mueller’s findings one way or the other…unlike Trump supporters!

From what I have read, Mueller only indites if he has rock solid evidence. And if a crime(s) have been committed, it will be difficult for those on the hill to dismiss. And they are the only ones who matter. Next will be the voters.

The Nixon defense, “when the President does it, that means it is not illegal” does not have constitutional validity, thankfully.

1 Like

Meanwhile…

Comey doen’t have to say it to make it true. I was pointing out that Comey is not fooling himself. He knows that he was hired, and can be fired. You just haven’t faced that fact yet, so it’s your problem.

Mueller is not a judge. He is a prosecutor. The President’s lawyers are doing the right thing by refusing to allow Trump to be questioned.

There is no crime. Period. If Mueller has crimes to prosecute, he should prosecute them. The President has committed no crimes.

Do you mean by offering to testify? LOL Is that acting guilty?