Trump mocking retired senator who’s dying of cancer

How so? He killed a woman, got away with it, was almost president, and had no regrets or remorse. Why should I feel anything but disgust for him?

I’m not a Ted Kennedy guy, but he got into a wreck that killed a woman. He ■■■■■■ up, no way around it. But all of us have sinned and all of us are going to die. I’m sure that you’ve sinned, as have I. If it makes you feel good about yourself to judge him in death, I doubt you’d have a problem if I, or anyone else, rejoiced in your death.

I’ve never committed vehicular homicide. But if you want to judge me for committing vehicular homicide, you’re free to do so.

I can conclusively state that I have never driven drunk.

I can say that because I don’t drive, and have never been behind the wheel of a car.

Can you make the same claim? Few people I know can.

I’ve never driven drunk. I’ve driven after having had a drink, but never while drunk.

So what happened with Ted Kennedy was just a happy accident? A little Bob Ross?

Did you take a breathalyzer before you got behind the wheel?

From my experience, people are generally very bad at judging their own level of intoxication.

I am not in any sense of the word defending Ted Kennedy.

I am just pointing out that most people I know have done the same thing that he did (get behind the wheel under the influence), and the only difference is luck.

So most people do it. He was just unlucky. Poor guy. You’re right, I’ll start feeing sorry for him now. I was looking at it all wrong this time. He just was under the influence at the wrong place, at the wrong time.

That completely excuses his actions. Man, that guy should have better luck.

To be perfectly clear - I am not accusing you of breaking the law.

I am just saying that nearly everyone I know has gotten behind the wheel when they probably shouldn’t have.

Rationalization. Cool.

You are trying desperately to put words in my mouth.

You just said most people have done what Ted Kennedy did. He was just unlucky. Your words, not mine. That rationalizes and trivializes what he did. But it’s cool. Glad you feel that way because he was a democrat.

Not rationalization. As far as I’m concerned, he should have gone to jail for it.

But so should nearly everyone I know who both consumes alcohol, and drives a car.

Everyone who drives drunk and kills someone was just unlucky. Right? Or just Ted Kennedy?

Nothing I said “rationalizes” or “trivializes” what he did. A woman died.

But yes - i would go so far as to say that most people who aren’t teetotalers have driven when they shouldn’t have - particularly in 1969.

You said he was just unlucky. How’s that not rationalizing and trivializing it?

Everyone who drives drunk and kills someone is just unlucky then? If not, why only Ted Kennedy?

So you’re saying I’m just as bad as ted Kennedy? Get the ■■■■ out of here with that ■■■■■■■■■

So they’re just as bad as Ted Kennedy. They’re just luckier.

This is just me, but I too have a problem with the whole “oh geez that person just died or is dying, so we cannot say x, y, z about the person lest we be too insensitive to the end of his life.

No no no. For the most part, Just because you’re reaching a deadline (death) you’ve known about your whole life doesn’t mean you get a pass for being a bad person up until now.

Christopher Hitchens went on a blazing media interview tour right after Jerry Falwell died to lay bare that man’s worst traits and legacies. Shocked everyone while doing it, but boy was he spot on, and boy did he fire some people up with that relentless criticism. They hadn’t even put ole jerry in the ground yet.

I don’t think you’re understanding my point, and apparently I’ve struck a nerve.

So I will bow out of this conversation now.