Trump is hijacking 4th of July- changing it from a national celebration to a campaign event

Forcing Native American out of their land and marching them across the country to live in glorified ghettos. Canada also did this.

They are not big fans of the U.S government.

Well that was not the question now was it.

We have a complicated history.

We have good and we have bad.

I like to focus on the good on July 4th.

But I don’t think that we should ever forget the bad or worse know that it is there and dismiss it.

Native are not huge fans of the Fourth of July or Canada Day.

I don’t blame them one bit.

“Imagine there’s no countries.”

1 Like

Well yes it was the question you quoted. “So tell me from who’s perspective do we not any great history?”

Perhaps a more important question is what kind of country we are becoming?

And as I said.

I am pretty sure that there are Native Americans who would take issue.

I have a Hawaiian friend who definitely has opinions.

Where I grew up they always had the biggest fireworks shows and all the fireworks stands. But I can see why they might not.

I would wonder what part of our history Native Americans would think IS great.

Its complex issue, its similar to race relation its complex issue there are a lot of people who have deep rooted resentment for the U.S government now some people view the nation and government as inseparable.

personal I can accept the bad and good, America has made mistakes but its about growing from those and not repeating them.

I think America has tried their best to become a better nation and that is important to celebrate.

2 Likes

The European colonization of the New World was an energy grab. Looking through the lens of energy, most developments human history have been about the movement of energy through the ecosystem.

1 Like

I agree the 4th of July is much more then the military. It’s an idea.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,

2 Likes

No you said natives would have problems with certain parts of our history, not all of it.

But I agree with the Hawaiian natives, never thought of them.

That’s not the way Trump portrayed it.

It’s a form of masochism that runs through western countries, were we blame ourselves on all the problems throughout the world, especially our forefathers.

It seems to be solely a western disease as other nations don’t sit around beating themselves relentlessly over their past sins.

Very good post

I didn’t see it.

Either way if you want to burn the flag knock yourself out. But just don’t impose your views on rest of us.

I’m glad Trump didn’t turn this into a campaign rally.