Tracking the Coronavirus

No need for anyone else to post here, but I thought I’d start a thread reporting the data from the Johns Hopkins tracker.

I’ll just share the info on the same 3 countries each morning -not to dismiss the others as unimportant but just because these might be of interest.

Japan - where the Olympics are going to be.
The US - obviously
Sri Lanka - as remote a country as you can get.

Japan, as of 1:04 pm on 3/6 - 381 reported cases, 6 dead
US, as of 1:04 pm on 3/6 - 259 reported cases, 14 dead
Sri Lanka, as of 1:04 pm on 3/6, 1 reported, 0 dead.

There are 26 countries reporting only one case of Coronavirus.

1 Like

Yesterday, 3/7

Today, 3/8. As of 810 AM

Japan 420 reported cases, 6 dead
US, 340 reported cases, 14 dead
Sri Lanka, 1 reported, 0 dead

@AlexMcAlpine Just a point of clarification: why do you say Sri Lanka is “as remote a country as you can get” given its proximity to India?

I just didn’t think many people traveled to Sri Lanka - at least not Americans.

Well…ok…so my Asian geography is not as strong as my European geography. :wink:

It wasn’t a criticism; it was more a question of what was behind the rationale behind it and what you would like to monitor?

To be honest…it’s the last country on the list at the Johns Hopkins tracking site.

There are 26 countries that are reporting only one case of the Coronavirus - including Vatican City, Cameroon Cambodioa, the Faroe Islands, Andorra, Gibraltar.

Others are reporting 2, 3, 4 etc.

In some other thread (I"ve lost track of where I’ve been posting) I shared a link to a statisticians comments on the virus. Where you have 1 person - in all liklihood you have a hundred. How could just one person get the virus and not pass it on to others?

But lots of people don’t go to doctors until they absolutely have to - and certainly not in these really poor countries.

So I’m just wondering if one of these days those countries are all of a sudden going to balloon into quite a few more cases.

Thanks for the response. As a matter of interest I believe that Sri Lanka’s population is around 21 to 22 million.

I think the Italy and South Korea are going to be important for understanding the spread of the disease. Here are today’s figures for those countries:

South Korea has 7041 cases and 44 deaths.
Italy has 4636 cases and 197 deaths.

Freedom of movement within Europe means that the outbreak in Italy is spreading rapidly across the continent. Both Italy and South Korea have been important sources for infections of the US, especially since the travel restrictions for China.

What do you know about those who have died? My understanding is that it’s mostly those who are elderly or were already sick?

3/8/2020

107,485 worldwide cases 3,648 deaths, 60,637 “recovered”. (And from those recovered, presumably they are being tracked to see if they have lung damage.)

US - 437 cases, up from 340 yesterday. 17 dead.
—16 dead in Washington state, 1 dead in CA
Japan - 461 cases, up from 440 yesterday, no new deaths
Mainland China 80,695 confirmed cases
South Korea 7,314 confirmed cases
Australia, 76 cases, 4 dead
19 countries report only one case of the virus, the other 7 from yesterday now have 2

Info from the Johns Hopkins tracker

Two dead in Florida and I have unwittingly traveled to within a quarter mile of both of them, oy.

That said, I am less likely than most to get it due to the precautions I have been taking for decades now. I haven’t had the flu in about 35 years or more.

Yeah…the Johns Hopkins tracker doesn’t appear to be up to date. I wonder if it’s getting its info from the CDC, which due to government ukase isn’t allowed to release the info officially?

That said, I am less likely than most to get it due to the precautions I have been taking for decades now. I haven’t had the flu in about 35 years or more.

Let’s hope that continues.

The flu continues to kill more people - hopefully heightened awareness of how not to get the flu will save more people overall!

I will be interested to see what the verdict is on those who have “recovered” from the virus. Will they be fine, or will there be permanent lung damage as some reports have said.

I agree with you that the longer term silver lining is that getting a flu shot might be considered a wise decision.

That’s a very good question.

Supposedly China will be releasing autopsy findings today on two patients from Wuhan, and dealing specifically with lung pathology.

Or so they said ten days ago.

I did a web search today.

The “long term impacts of the coronavirus” give plenty of results for financial impact, or cultural impact, but nothing on the physical impact to recovered patients.

1 Like

I expect, from things I have been reading about previous similar things like SARS, there will be pulmonary fibrosis and organ damage. One of the reasons people are dying now is from organ damage. That will cause scarring in organ tissues which is basically what fibrosis is. Many will have lifelong maladies as well as reduced lifespan for some.

Here’s the latest from the Johns Hopkins site.

111.362 total confirmed cases, 3,892 dead, 62,392 recovered.

US - 565 cases, 128 more than yesterday. 22 dead.
—states are Washington, Florida, and California
Japan - 511 cases, up from 440 yesterday, 17 deaths
Mainland China 80,735 confirmed cases, a 230 people increase
South Korea 7,478 cases, up 164 from yesterday
Australia , 85 cases, up 9 from yesterday. No new deaths.

18 countries report only one case of the virus.

Still no demographics on those infected/dying/recovering, right?

This is 6 days old, but:

The info is coming from China.

Same as we’ve been told before - elderly will probably succumb, the young and healthy won’t.

Nothing, in this article at least, about long-term effects, if any, on those who’d recovered.