The Stock Market Seems to be Doing Really Well

Didn’t the great depression last for a decade?

I honestly don’t know…I’ll look it up.

from wiki:

In most countries of the world, recovery from the Great Depression began in 1933.[11] In the U.S., recovery began in early 1933,[11] but the U.S. did not return to 1929 GNP for over a decade and still had an unemployment rate of about 15% in 1940, albeit down from the high of 25% in 1933.

So the depression lasted a few years, but the recovery took decades?

I understand.

If this next one is the likes of which we have not seen, then decades it is.

Seeds - check.
Fresh clean water - check.
Livestock - check.
MuH gUnS - check.

I wonder if I’m missing anything. :thinking: maybe more mason jars is in order.

I have a long term (401k) invested heavily in stocks so the market going up has made it a happy camper. I was despairing for a while.

Allan

I put about 10k into the TSP back in 2008. Haven’t checked on it in years.

Argumentum ad misericordiam

Yes, thanks to FDR thinking he could manage the economy.

It clearly pisses them off. They want violence and no recovery until nov 4th at the earliest.

Nice folks. :roll_eyes:

Which fund(s)?

Also, this may be a good time to point out the rule of 72, which I’m always happy to share.

72/average growth rate = number of years it takes money to double. So if I put $1k in a fund with 10% average growth, I’ll have $2k in 7 years (72/10=7.2)

Assuming you are in the S&P TSP fund (which hopefully you are, young fellow), your average annual increase is between 8.5 and 12.5 percent, depending on when in that year you made your investment. (2008 was a very volatile year)

So that 10k, if you invested at the absolute bottom of the market, is a bit over 40k, (72/12 means you’re doubling every 6 years), and if you invested at the top, you’re right around 25k (You doubled every 9ish years 72/8ish)

Rule of 72 is most useful when thinking about the future, not estimating past returns, but it’s a great trick for some quick mental math on car rides while thinking about how to allocate.

2 Likes

I usually don’t see threads about the stock market unless it is horrible day or crash. Refreshing to see one when everyones 401k’s are gone back up, unless of course they were heavily invested in oil and travel stocks.

2 Likes

And such people shouldn’t have money. (Overexposure in a 401k is flat out gambling)

Good question. I was a young Private back then and liked the idea of an average 10% compound interest. I was told I could potentially have a couple hundred thousand waiting for me in my early 60’s. Putting half of my enlistment bonus into that seemed like a good idea. The S&P part sounds familiar now that you brought it up.

IIRC, I chose an automatic option where the portfolio changes over time.

700 billion in quantitative easing this year has helped the stock market…

I am sure republicans will be gnashing their teeth like they did when obama was president…

Or once again expose their hypocrisy…

I wonder which it will be…

Great advice you got and good job listening to it and saving early instead of getting the souped up F150!

A 10% return on $10k invested at age 22 is $450k at 62 (or ~$200k in 2020 dollars, assuming 3% inflation starting now)

Now consider if you had that $10k deposited the day you were born. That’s $5 million nominally, $800k in 1986 dollars assuming 3% inflation.

The “birth gift“ would mostly fix the retirement crisis in this country and would pay for itself many times over with a reduction in the 401k tax benefit.

2 Likes

Well damn, it looks like my wife and I will be living in a giant RV when we’re not living on our yacht. We plan to sell the property when the kids are out of the house and go ocean traveling.

Now if only there were some way the Army would need to recall me so I could add more into it. :thinking:

Hells yeah!

From my own “when the kids are gone” planning sheet…I’ve got “Costa Rica House“ on there…cell G2

1 Like

I saw impressive numbers before the image disappeared. Very nicely done.

Trying to figure out how to refrigerator a decades worth of IPAs…