The guy who shot 16 people yesterday, mad about his engineering job

It has to expand to everyone including women.

There will be ~ 160 more mass shootings in your lifetime (that only counts a shooting where 4 or more people are gunned down).

There will be 194,666 firearm homicides in the US in next 20 years.

I have np with a gun buyback and trying to get the illegal guns off the streets.

Criminals don’t line up at their local Sheriff/Police office to turn in illegal guns.

My agency did gun buyback progarms for years and the vast majority of the guns turned in were legally obtained “safe queens” that hadn’t been fired in decades, or broken pieces of ■■■■ that couldn’t be fired under any circumstance.

It’s a “feel good” program that has absolutely no impact on the number of guns in the hands of criminals.

I always feel like the class dunce when it comes to firearms lol. It’s not my area as I don’t own a gun, but I do try to educate myself a bit on the subject. It seems mass shootings (as horrible as they are) gets all of the attention but only make up 1% of shootings in the U.S. is it even possible to get the illegal weapons off the streets in a percentage that would cut back on the violence?

Was the shooting politically motivated? I remember the guy in the Trump van seemed politically motivated. That seems to be the difference but keep trying.

Odd how you are exercising your bias against the media to lament that the media isn’t, as you see it, exercising bias in this instance.

I visited Tokyo some years ago was amazed that people left their bikes without any locks along the city streets, and bicycle theft was very rare. In the US I have had bikes stolen even though they were locked up.

Clearly we need to ban bike locks to end bike theft if we use Japan as the model.

The average deaths that are fire arm related is about 40,000 per year. 10% would be 4,000. 1% would be 400. So yes, mas shootings is well below 1% of all gun related deaths.

By comparison, drug overdoses kills about 70,000 per year. And Automobile deaths count over 1.5 million deaths per year.

I had a layover in Japan at one point when I was younger. The sushi at the airport was incredibly expensive, but I felt it was worth it to eat sushi in Japan. I feel I have a better understanding of Japan because of my experience.

We have a lot to be proud of as generation x. We took the Pepsi challenge.

No they really didn’t. They warned us about standing armies that were better armed than the general populace. They warned us about political parties. (Party before country.) They warned about people being able to vote themselves money from the Federal Treasury. They also warned us about being unable to break away from the Central Government should it become tyrannical. Yet all of these things have come to pass despite their warnings. Are the Founders to blame for that too?

1 Like

And solved the Rubik’s Cube.

1 Like

It wouldn’t have, but that’s not the point. We need to do something, regardless of effect…that’s how this works.
Ban those scary looking guns, it won’t save lives but we’ll feel better.
Prevent law abiding citizens from owning guns, again no real effect…but we’ll feel less insecure.
Universal background checks, sure that won’t do ■■■■■ but hey it’s something so we may as well do it.
The point is we need to do something, anything, everything, it doesn’t matter that it won’t work…it just needs to make us feel better.

Screw that government regulation crap.

As somebody already posted, a government utility is too much government. Private unregulated utilities would be far more efficient and safer. The market would take care of any wrongdoing by private companies running utilities. Just like private citizens heavily armed are by far the best solution for gun violence…hell, any kind of violence for that matter.

Does the 2nd amendment call for any restrictions? Hell no! If you are citizen, you can bear arms. Age, sex, religion, criminal background, mental illness…none of that is stated in the 2nd amendment.

Once you have one government regulation, it’s only a matter of time before we are a totalitarian police state.

1 Like

Ok fine so Japanese just obey laws in general or have high ethics.

What about Italians ?

I looked up some property crime statistics and motor vehicle theft rate in Italy is a little higher than that in US.

Sources:
https://knoema.com/atlas/Italy/Motor-vehicle-theft-rate
https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-auto-theft

And since Italy has gun control laws much stricter than those of the US and their population clearly doesn’t have the same hangups as Japanese do about committing crimes, if we were to look up mass shootings and homicide rate in Italy, we would sure find that they far exceed that of the US with the law-abiding citizens unable to defend themselves against law breakers, correct ?

I’m with this.

But does anyone really thing someone with an illegal gun is going to give it up?

Buybacks will just get law abiding people selling their guns that they never plan to use again. Yes, that will reduce the number of guns in circulation (so, for instance, they might not get stolen in a break-in.) It’s one step, where many steps are going to be needed.

Speaks to the character of the people.

To me, that’s the big problem here. Too many people have no respect for others.

Yes, and unlike in gun-free zones, there are also a lot of shoot-backs.

The bias is not John Lott’s, it belongs to the mass shooters. They much prefer to carry out their heinous acts in places where they know the probability of someone shooting back is very low.